cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are the $25K lithium battery systems worth their cost?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I noticed several Class B manufacturers are offering as an upgrade lithium battery systems such as Volta and other brands costing in the neighborhood of $25K or more. Based on what I have learned, the coach manufacturers get rid of the generator, add a second alternator to the coach engine, add some solar panels, 2,000 or 3,000 watt inverter and of course the lithium battery pack. If I'm not mistaken, in order to run the AC using the batteries, a 10K or 11K BTU unit is used. Ostensibly, you should be able to run the AC for a few hours before the battery pack is discharged.

Taking the high cost under consideration, do any of you see the advantage of ditching the generator and switching to this type of system? From what I gather, if you're stationary and the batteries need to be charged you must run your coach engine 2 to 3 hours to charge the batteries. Personally, I don't see any advantage by doing this. For years, I have managed to dry camp for days using 2 lead-acid batteries, 200 watts or less of solar panels and running the generator about an hour or less every day in the evening.
19 REPLIES 19

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
$25K uplift is ridiculous ! Four Battle Born lithium batteries will give you 400 Ah and cost about $4,000. A good 3000W inverter/charger/transfer switch is about $1,500. Not sure how much solar is, but we haven't deducted any thing for the missing generator.

Air conditioning requirement is the "make it or break it" in the decision game. Personally, I would rather have more solar panels than a second engine alternator, but roof space is limited. I would still carry a small generator (iGen 2500).

Now that 12VDC compressor refrigerators exist, where are the 12VDC air conditioners ?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are mistaken if you opt for this 25k system. If you had adequate solar panel watts you wouldnโ€™t need to run the generator at all when no A/C is needed.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can afford it it's worth it. I imagine a $25k battery would be pretty awesome.

You could run heavy-draw stuff like toaster, MW, coffee maker, hours of TV and not have to recharge for days. But, there's no free lunch and the recharging could take quite some time unless you have constant solar or get plugged in.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I often read maintenance on the generator wedged in with virtually no access can be problematic or expensive on these units. Much easier to carry a small Honda if you need air 24/7. Or skip the Honda too if no air is needed. Value and cost is up to the user. Does it 'pay' for itself financially.... probably not but same for most RVing.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Early adopter technology is never good value, but thereโ€™s always a segment of the market that will pay the price. Class B in general are poor value IMO compared to other choices, but they fit the need for some people obviously.

I could see a case for someone whoโ€™s basically transient, and needs cooling when parked.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...