cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AV/Security Software

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 HP Pavilion 32 bit PC running Vista Home Premium. My current AV software is 2013 Kaspersky Internet Solutions...and it's due to expire in a few days.

First... I have no idea how to renew this myself and it was added by Staples last year. I could take the tower to Best Buy and have them clean it and add a new Kaspersky.

Or... I could buy a disc and have a local computer person come by my home and install on both computers (DH's AV expires too!).

The local guy says just wait till August when the new version comes out and then do the Kaspersky...and he'll show me how. Says the current K will continue to protect the PC's..it just won't update itself. Is that true??

Or...should I get a completely different AV/Security software?

I know this has probably been asked before... so please forgive me. I've just always relied on the Geeks to take care of the machines.

Thanks
cts
21 REPLIES 21

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
The all in one as it is called, is really nice because you only have one cable and that is the power cable, providing you have wireless access. Most of them come with a wireless keyboard and mouse so it is a very neat setup. The only drawback is that if the screen goes bad, it is very expensive to replace. The HP ones come with a 3 year warranty which covers the screen as well as the rest of the machine. If you are buying one with Windows 8, the serial number is now burned into the motherboard instead of having to type it in. You can install Win 7 on it along side the Win 8 so you can switch on boot up. I get mine next week.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest reason I haven't done the renew button is... just afraid of screwing it up.

I opted to take both machines to the Geeks and buy a one year K disc. Now... I have a disc should something fail.

so... I punted the problem down the road again for another year. In the meantime.. I am going to get myself more knowledgeable on this sort of thing. I don't like feeling intimidated by a machine.

Thanks for the advice folks. I appreciate it.

While in BB I did take the time to peruse the latest greatest in computing. Does anyone have one of those all in one computers? No tower...much less space needed. Looks interesting. I'm sure there's a drawback somewhere...just don't know enough about the product.

Also... what's the difference between AMD and Intel?

cts

docj
Explorer
Explorer
covetsthesun wrote:
1492 wrote:
I think the OP's question specifically focuses on AV Software. But the overall security equation is obviously much broader, and should also include security and vulnerability updates for both OS and apps.

Ok... I'm the OP...and a she not a he. I've left the maintenance of the PC's to the Geeks. I have Kaspersky Internet Solutions 13 and it's more than just an AV.

I started using it after a major infection while using MSE. Prior to that I'd used Trend Micro... and before that I'd used the free software which worked fine...till it didn't. :E Trash one machine later and now I use paid anti everything software.

The last time I was a computer go to person was in 1986. Now... I'm like a lot of other folks out there. Clueless. I understand on a big picture level what you all are talking about... but on the details on how to do it... :?

I am thinking of just buying a K disc and hiring the local to come install one computer and teach me how to do the other. That way I won't feel like such an idiot. :h

My grand kids know more about this stuff than I do. But they're in another state. sigh....

cts

I don't understand why you are so reluctant to simply click on the "Renew License" button on your existing copy of Kaspersky? It's a trivially easy process and you won't have to pay anyone to do anything.

After you renew, you can get a multi-computer license and then you download a "trial" copy from the Kaspersky website onto your second computer and then enter the activation code from your first copy into the second one.

There's nothing to lose by trying to do it yourself and you've save $$ and increase your self-confidence.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
I think the OP's question specifically focuses on AV Software. But the overall security equation is obviously much broader, and should also include security and vulnerability updates for both OS and apps.

Ok... I'm the OP...and a she not a he. I've left the maintenance of the PC's to the Geeks. I have Kaspersky Internet Solutions 13 and it's more than just an AV.

I started using it after a major infection while using MSE. Prior to that I'd used Trend Micro... and before that I'd used the free software which worked fine...till it didn't. :E Trash one machine later and now I use paid anti everything software.

The last time I was a computer go to person was in 1986. Now... I'm like a lot of other folks out there. Clueless. I understand on a big picture level what you all are talking about... but on the details on how to do it... :?

I am thinking of just buying a K disc and hiring the local to come install one computer and teach me how to do the other. That way I won't feel like such an idiot. :h

My grand kids know more about this stuff than I do. But they're in another state. sigh....

cts

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
I know this is not a popular comment, but here goes. If you use a good operating system ie read "not microsft", you really don't need to be concerned about A/V software. I have been using Linux Ubuntu here for several years with no problems such as malware or viruses. If your going to stay with Windows, you should get as much protection as you can as you will surely need it.:B

nonsense. Linux and Apple are not immune to viruses and the like. they simply don't have the market share to attract attention.

Wrong again. Yes both Apple and Linux are just much better written than Windows. It is therefore much harder to penetrate the system. Also I have seen times when it took weeks and even months for Microsoft to fix a vulnerability while if a problem arises with Linux a fix will usually be sent out in a matter of hours. But let's just say for the case of argument that the reason for not having problems is only because of the smaller base, wouldn't it still be wise to change???

not if I can't find the software I need, no.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
As we are steering off topic, let's get back to the question of PC AV protection.

I'm sorry I felt I was answering his question when he asked

Or...should I get a completely different AV/Security software?

I was just trying my best to give him another option. But I did say it wouldn't be popular.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

As we are steering off topic, let's get back to the question of PC AV protection.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
I know this is not a popular comment, but here goes. If you use a good operating system ie read "not microsft", you really don't need to be concerned about A/V software. I have been using Linux Ubuntu here for several years with no problems such as malware or viruses. If your going to stay with Windows, you should get as much protection as you can as you will surely need it.:B

nonsense. Linux and Apple are not immune to viruses and the like. they simply don't have the market share to attract attention.

Wrong again. Yes both Apple and Linux are just much better written than Windows. It is therefore much harder to penetrate the system. Also I have seen times when it took weeks and even months for Microsoft to fix a vulnerability while if a problem arises with Linux a fix will usually be sent out in a matter of hours. But let's just say for the case of argument that the reason for not having problems is only because of the smaller base, wouldn't it still be wise to change???
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976

rk911 wrote:

Just because an OS is designed to be inherently resistant to viruses or malware does not mean that the overall system is immune. Even Apple long dropped references to such on its website, and recommends third party AV protection. All my MACS have AV apps, in this case AVast Free.

The cyber-criminals know this and shifted their focus toward browser and plugin extension exploits that don't require OS intrusion to gain foothold or even a level of control of a system.

To believe one is protected due solely to the OS is not unlike owning a water resistant watch, and assuming it means the same thing as waterproof. There are more equations in the overall picture than just the OS.

Kaspersky has been one of the top rated paid AV suites, but you can get more than adequate AV protection, if not similar, from free AV apps such as AVast Free or AVG Free. I use both currently in my PC and MAC systems, and have done so for more than 10 years. In that time, I've never had any of my systems taken down. Can't say that for a very popular paid AV suite at the time, in which my desktop HD was destroyed by a virus that got through.

And as mentioned, you should also consider installing a secondary standby app such as Malwarebytes, which has proven effective in dealing with malware not always or as quickly detected by traditional AV software.

IMO, MSE lower detection ratings reviews from popular AV security websites could be partially due to its conservative nature to avoid false positives. It has one of the lowest among all suites. But at what price?

Personally, I'd rather have an overly cautious AV suite, but does lend itself to occasional false positives. In fact, just had one with AVG Free. A little checking on the web, found it to be a non-issue, and was actually corrected in a daily update, though my notebook hadn't been powered on in weeks, so didn't receive the update.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
And of course, no matter what antivirus program you install, it is only as good as it's last update. I prefer AVG and Malwarebytes to cover me.
So far, no problems.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976