cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best choice for aftermarkey TPMS?

kevfra
Explorer
Explorer
I have a six wheel C and want to have installed TPMS. Guess the labor alone will set me back $150 or so just dismount and install the transmitters. So I want to buy a good system that will allow me to see the pressure on all six tires. What has been the best choice for this?

Thanks!
26 REPLIES 26

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
TST and metal valve stems for me and no I did not re balance the tires. ๐Ÿ™‚

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
TST 507s as well. No balancing and NO metal stems needed if you do this:

The rubber sleeve is cut from an appropriate piece (correct inner diameter) of fuel line hose. The marks on the rim were caused before installing the sleeves, and after only 40 miles of driving.

Recent 3800 mile trip attests to the success of this. Worked perfectly, and to the OP - no installation costs. I can also replace the battery on these sensors.

I've been using the TST 507 for over three years. Our toad is a 2006 Chevy HHR that has rubber valve stems. No problems with about 20,000 miles of towing.

I've also removed the outer security shell from all sensors. Makes for a little less weight an a smaller sensor footprint.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not even sure there is a "best" TPMS system out there anymore. Lots of new players in the game and it seems like they all work fine. Some have advantages and disadvantages and different features. Years ago it was mostly TST and Pressure Pro, but now Tireminder and others are offering good stuff.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Jerry0312
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Pressure Pro in the past with good results. I replaced that with the Tire Tracker system from TechnoRv and have been very satisfied with the Tire Tracker as well. Tire tracker is a little less expensive and performed with no issues for the last several months. Highly recommend Tire Tracker.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The reasoning behind TPMS is peace of mind, especially with the cheap tires nowadays. I've had a flat twice and did not feel anything both times. You might also be able to save a tire if you get a slow leak, say by picking up a nail. Tires flapping around on a trailer can do a lot of damage before you get it to the side of the road. A lot of folks drive for many years and never have any problems, but that's just my 2 cents. Love my TST system btw.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
wintersun wrote:
Why do you want to know the pressure on all 6 wheels all the time? I have only been driving trucks and pulling trailers for 40 plus years and I can tell at a glance if there is a serious problem with one of the tires.

I have a portable air compressor and two tire gauges so I can cross check pressure and adjust it from time to time. But on trips of thousands of miles the pressure goes up if it is hotter outside or after 30 minutes on the highway and it goes down with cooler temps or changes in elevation, and seeing this on a digital display does not change anything.

With trailers I have had problems with wheel bearings or with tire failures but never with a tire loosing air rapidly and my not being able to see that this was happening.

TPMS are federally mandated not to increase driver safety but to improve fuel economy as so many drivers fail to monitor the amount of air in their tires. I understand the logic in this but there is no way I would spend the money to do a retrofit on a vehicle that did not have them.

Be aware that each time you have the tires rotated they need to be reset/trained to keep the readings accurate. Three out of four times on my truck the tire shop guy forgets to do this.
Pooh.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
The outside wheels on my rear duals have a steel valve stem that leaves the wheel on the outside, and bends in so that the valve (and inflating and deflating) is done between the two wheels with an air chuck that bends 180 degrees back to mate with the schrader valve.

Looking at the pictures in this thread, it seems like the pressure sender would interfere with inflating my outer rear dual tires.

What's up?

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you want to know the pressure on all 6 wheels all the time? I have only been driving trucks and pulling trailers for 40 plus years and I can tell at a glance if there is a serious problem with one of the tires.

I have a portable air compressor and two tire gauges so I can cross check pressure and adjust it from time to time. But on trips of thousands of miles the pressure goes up if it is hotter outside or after 30 minutes on the highway and it goes down with cooler temps or changes in elevation, and seeing this on a digital display does not change anything.

With trailers I have had problems with wheel bearings or with tire failures but never with a tire loosing air rapidly and my not being able to see that this was happening.

TPMS are federally mandated not to increase driver safety but to improve fuel economy as so many drivers fail to monitor the amount of air in their tires. I understand the logic in this but there is no way I would spend the money to do a retrofit on a vehicle that did not have them.

Be aware that each time you have the tires rotated they need to be reset/trained to keep the readings accurate. Three out of four times on my truck the tire shop guy forgets to do this.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
TST 507s as well. No balancing and NO metal stems needed if you do this:

The rubber sleeve is cut from an appropriate piece (correct inner diameter) of fuel line hose. The marks on the rim were caused before installing the sleeves, and after only 40 miles of driving.

Recent 3800 mile trip attests to the success of this. Worked perfectly, and to the OP - no installation costs. I can also replace the battery on these sensors.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

mda
Explorer
Explorer
TST here also. Make sure metal valve stems!

OldGreaser
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good success with TST. There might be better systems because this is the only one I've used, but let me share what happened. I had a 507 system stolen, so I bought a replacement system from PPL Motorhomes for a good price. The new system is slightly different in that I can change the sensor batteries myself when needed. I got the new system up and running but it was 'flakey'. I called the service line at TST and they did the following:

1- made correct diagnosis (my old repeater was not compatible).
2- shipped me a new repeater for a good price.
3- sent me a replacement unit and a replacement sensor in case the repeater was not the problem. 'Gentlemen's agreement' is for me to either send back defective parts and consider it warranty or send back the good parts if I found I did not need them. They did this because I was headed out for a pretty major trip and wanted to be sure the system was working for me.

I didn't provide any proof of purchase or anything. It turns out the new repeater solved all problems and I will be getting home this week, at which time I will send back the new unused parts.

I remain impressed with TST service.

OG....

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have to put metal valve stems on your toad's tires too?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm very happy with the TST that we use. It does take a while when first turned on to register all the sensors. We have the metal valve stems, and didn't need a repeater for our 40' toyhauler.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Before I started using balance beads I would go to my local tire shop and purchase 1/4 ounce tire weights and install them directly across from the valve stem to compensate for the weight of the TPMS sensor.