cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Better Wi Fi capture in campgrounds

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, first things first, I'm not exactly top notch computer savy but I've been looking for devices,antenna's,what have you to provide better reception(possibly better transmission) of Wi-Fi signals in a camp setting for multiple uses. Things I've looked at......JefaTech repeater kit, Wave Wi-Fi Rogue, Wi-Fi Ranger products with umbiquiti / POE.

It appears the Ranger products are among the better choices but I'm wondering about price vs performance. We're not looking for anything more than to get on line within the RV without walking about trying to get a clear line of sight. E-mail and Web browsing is all we need. We currently don't have a cell phone that is hot spot capable but I see the Ranger products offer the switching necessary to access the signals available so that feature seems worthwhile. Anyways, just trying to get a better understanding of what's out there?
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
29 REPLIES 29

isa
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3" mini plastic satellite dish that is made by Hawking technology HWDN2 that does an amazing job of bringing in weak Wi-Fi signals.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
"if there is NO tmobile cell service at your grandsons, there is nothing that can get you cell service"
That is what I was asking. Thanks. I didn't think I understood him correctly.

MrWizard
Roy&Lynne wrote:
I was at my local T-Mobile dealer and telling him that at my grandson's I couldn't get cell service. He said that we could purchase a devise to create our own WiFi, is he talking about a HotSpot like MIFI and don't you need a cell phone tower to use that? (Sorry, he was young and I am old and we didn't speak the same language so I didn't really understand what he was talking about. But it seems to me if I couldn't get cell service, I couldn't get Wifi either, am I wrong?

Please Clarify

if there is NO tmobile cell service at your grandsons, there is nothing that can get you cell service

IF there is a poor signal, then a cellular amplifier with external antenna will boost the signal

However
most cellphone carriers now have a device
that attaches to a "hardline" internet service like cable or DSL
and functions as a mini cell tower ( inside home )
so your cellphone makes phone calls (the device connects to the carriers network via the internet)

i'm not sure what your asking or what you want
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a jefa tech system and a usb type booster from amp. I have been find the cheap usb booster is superior to the jefa system. Not sure why.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
1492 wrote:
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Oh, I did check out the Engenius product at Fry's yesterday....(19.99), my only problem with it is that the compatibility with Window's 8? Both my computer and wife's our on their last leg and will be replacing come "black Friday" ad's.

According to their website, they have a driver for the EnGenius EUB9603H up to WIN 7. None actually listed for WIN 8. But, this WiFi adapter apparently uses the popular Realtek RTL8188RU chipset, so you should be able to use Realtek's updated WIN 8 driver, if actually even required. I've downloaded Realtek drivers many times when the WiFi adapter manufacture didn't have updated drivers on their website.

I may give that device a try, its cheap enough and I'm sure I'll see some improvement over internal laptop antenna. Thank you for the info.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Tree House wrote:
Roy&Lynne, you are right in that if you don't have cell service, then you can't get cellular internet using a Mifi or any other device.

Does your son have cable internet at his house? If so, perhaps he was talking about a femtocell, which is a device that attaches to your cable internet. Your phone then picks up the cell signal the femtocell broadcasts and then sends your cell phone calls over the cable internet connection to the cell phone network. We have one of those that Verizon sells in our house to help with a dead spot that kept dropping calls.

But its only good if you have cable internet.

I would add that most smart phones can connect to your son's network, for data only, if he has a wireless router and you have the pass phrase, without additional devices.

k1hog
Explorer
Explorer
Pepwave Device Connector (2.4GHz Only) not cheap, but an awesome device, it will cure wifi issues.

http://3gstore.com/product/4493_pepwave_device_connector.html

Johnnie

Tree_House
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne, you are right in that if you don't have cell service, then you can't get cellular internet using a Mifi or any other device.

Does your son have cable internet at his house? If so, perhaps he was talking about a femtocell, which is a device that attaches to your cable internet. Your phone then picks up the cell signal the femtocell broadcasts and then sends your cell phone calls over the cable internet connection to the cell phone network. We have one of those that Verizon sells in our house to help with a dead spot that kept dropping calls.

But its only good if you have cable internet.

Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Oh, I did check out the Engenius product at Fry's yesterday....(19.99), my only problem with it is that the compatibility with Window's 8? Both my computer and wife's our on their last leg and will be replacing come "black Friday" ad's.

According to their website, they have a driver for the EnGenius EUB9603H up to WIN 7. None actually listed for WIN 8. But, this WiFi adapter apparently uses the popular Realtek RTL8188RU chipset, so you should be able to use Realtek's updated WIN 8 driver, if actually even required. I've downloaded Realtek drivers many times when the WiFi adapter manufacture didn't have updated drivers on their website.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I was at my local T-Mobile dealer and telling him that at my grandson's I couldn't get cell service. He said that we could purchase a devise to create our own WiFi, is he talking about a HotSpot like MIFI and don't you need a cell phone tower to use that? (Sorry, he was young and I am old and we didn't speak the same language so I didn't really understand what he was talking about. But it seems to me if I couldn't get cell service, I couldn't get Wifi either, am I wrong?

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
96 Vogue Prima Vista

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm kinda on the fence between the JefaTech and Rogue........guess I'll procrastinate as usual. ๐Ÿ™‚
96 Vogue Prima Vista

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
some posts r hard 2 read when u try 2 use as few keys as possible and one thought runs into the next without punctu8ion.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
i brought a cheap usb ant booster seems ok for me , the big trick is u have to be able to get out as well as receive most internal ant on pc are the problem it s a 2 way street SEND & receive, the CG ant has to see ur signal as well
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)