cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camera for back of trailer

BiggD
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at installing a camera on the back of the TT to help with backing into spots but I would also like it for driving down the road and knowing when it is safe to get back over or seeing what is going on behind me.

Are there any recommendations on what model to get? Wired or wireless?

Thanks!
TV: 2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 6.4L Equalizer 14k
TT: 2016 Heartland Prowler 32BHS
14 REPLIES 14

BiggD
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz wrote:
BiggD wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I think having a camera back there to be able to see what's going on and make changing lanes easier would be beneficial but I can see where you are coming from with judging the depth of the camera and how close an object really is. As with anything else, you will be able to judge better the more you use it I think.

I will check out the links you all provided and do some more searching.

You are absolutely right about being able to judge distances accurately with a little use. Case -n- point:

We met friends at the Beachcomber Resort. We ended up with campsites that were back to back.

Without a spotter, this how close I parked without concern.

While that may look an easy campsite to park at initially, here are the two trees I had to thread the camper through at the same time.

:B

Wow.. now that's a tight spot to get into.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
BiggD wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I think having a camera back there to be able to see what's going on and make changing lanes easier would be beneficial but I can see where you are coming from with judging the depth of the camera and how close an object really is. As with anything else, you will be able to judge better the more you use it I think.

You are absolutely right about being able to judge distances accurately with a little use. Case -n- point:

We met friends at the Beachcomber Resort. We ended up with campsites that were back to back.

Without a spotter, this how close I parked without concern.

While that may look an easy campsite to park at initially, here are the two trees I had to thread the camper through at the same time.

:B
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
BiggD wrote:
These cameras that you hard wire, do you make the connection at the hitch and it is just another connection you make when hooking up? Is there any special considerations you need to take into effect for weather proofing it? Are the cameras powered on all the time?
On the website I linked you to, the camera connection is just another connection by the hitch, and it has a snug rubber boot that keeps it weather tight. Mine is close to 10 years old with no problems. You can power the camera a variety of ways. The instructions are typically pretty good. My camera is set up to get power from the monitor which in turn gets power through the ignition side of the fuse box (I think, it has been quite a number of years since I installed it).
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

BiggD
Explorer
Explorer
These cameras that you hard wire, do you make the connection at the hitch and it is just another connection you make when hooking up? Is there any special considerations you need to take into effect for weather proofing it? Are the cameras powered on all the time?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rvcams.com/p/17/70-CHNV.html

I have an older version of this one I think. It works GREAT in all scenarios I've been able to throw at it. It simplifies passing. I can back into tight spots in the dark. I'm very happy with it. I haven't been able to use it with my new tow vehicle yet though.

If you don't buy a dedicated system, and go with something like a license plate camera, make sure it's intended for full time use. There's two basic camera technologies, CCD & CMOS. CMOS cameras can be pretty short lived if used full time versus just backing up.

Quoted from rearcamerareviews.com: "Rear view camera sensors are either CCD or CMOS. CCD sensors provide a much higher quality video then CMOS and operate in lower light environments. CCD rear view cameras are more expensive than their CMOS counterparts, but this is truly not the factor where you want to skimp on money. A CCD camera is the only unit to buy."
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hard wired camera on my trailer from Rear View Safety. Like others have suggested, it isn't all that useful for backing into a site, but I do use it while driving to see in the blind spot behind the trailer, and it has been useful for the rare times I have to back up in a gas station or parking lot. Since I travel solo, I don't have a helper to get out & check.

BiggD
Explorer
Explorer

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Heard many dismal reports from people using wireless cameras. I bought a wide angle reverse image camera from Ebay. Really pleased with the results.

Pics and details here: http://www.2manytoyz.com/backupcam.html

This is an actual picture of the aftermarket mirror, with a built-in color monitor, showing my BIL's truck parked behind our camper at a rest stop. This camera is mounted on the spare tire cover on the back of our trailer.

I have since sold that tow vehicle, and now have an F150 with a built-in backup camera and much smaller monitor in the mirror. If you look closely, you can see the trailer in the reflection, and the view behind the camper in the monitor.

I did this by disconnecting the camera on the F150 tailgate, and connecting the video cable going to the TT camera. Without rewiring the mirror/monitor, it only activates when the vehicle is put in reverse. Fine for backing into a campsite, but of no benefit when wanting to change lanes, and don't know if someone is tailgating the camper.

I still have the small LCD monitor I used before. It's much larger and clearer. The monitor and camera can be left on while driving. I really prefer this method. NO BLIND SPOTS!

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Searching UT. Same camera. I really like it. Especially when that car gets up behind you and disappears from your mirrors. Only used it a couple times so far with the new camera but I recommend it.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these on my trailer, and though it distorts the picture because of the wide angle lens, I find it comforting to be able to see behind me when I am merging into traffic or passing.

This unit is well made and has performed well, rain or shine, for over a year.I have one on the memsahib's SUV and had one on my previous PU. They give a good clear image and have infrared LEDs for night vision, which works well. Once I got used to the grid, which is intended for backing up, I can get a rough idea of how far behind me the next car is. This was the first thing I ordered for the new trailer. I tried a wireless camera on my TC and had marginal luck with it, so I hard wired it as I have all the others. JM2C.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
My heartland Bighorn came already wired for the Furrion camera and I found that their high speed version "Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL" seems to do good signal wise even when moving down the road. I'm not sure which system was referenced in one of the previous posts regarding image distortion, but that is an issue with this one, and the factory back up cameras on my truck, SUV and car. They distort distance to an extent so you have to be careful and really pay attention. That said, I really like having the one on my trailer. Only issue is that the factory wiring on my 5er leaves the camera always powered up from the trailers battery system so I'll have to trace the wiring and figure out where to install an on/off switch. I wish they had wired it to the marker lights or something like that.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a $100 car license plate mount wireless backup camera. When I mounted it on the motorhome license plate it was useless because of the poor depth perception. When I mounted it 8 feet high inside the top of the back window, aimed down so I can just see part of the spare tire, I find it very useful backing in. Wonderful in a parking lot where I can easily and safely back up to within a foot of a pole or whatever is there. It isn't very useful on the highway because of being aimed downward - though when pulling a utility trailer I can see most of it and be sure the kayaks are still there.

I would replace it immediately if anything happened to it. Tempted to get another to look back at roof level to watch for trees when backing up. A side view would be very nice, too, as I have a blind spot when approaching a road at an angle.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Having been there, done that, I'd agree - save your $$$. However, I do find my Swift Hitch SH02 invaluable for hitching up. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
My new TT came with this camera and I find it pretty useless.

The view is so skewed that distance is hard to estimate when backing in so I still would not do so without a spotter.

It is a little useful when we pass someone but that doesn't happen very often.

It is a techie toy that I'll continue to play with, but if it breaks, it won't get replaced.

I recommend you save your money.