cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can Dish receiver #922 accept Signal out of original zip?

Harry_Havasu
Explorer
Explorer
For years have used a Dish receiver #625 from home into the trailer for temporary usage. Now trying to upgrade to the Dish receiver #922, which is all high def.

However, I am told this very sophisticated digital item will operate only in the specific zip code used in the set up at home.

Tried it several miles away and get an on screen message that receiver cannot read the signal from the satellite dish.

Is this a coincidence or fact?

If anyone has any experiences with the #922 receiver please help me out.
Harry Havasu
9 REPLIES 9

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't let the LOCAL STATIONs away from your assigned ZIP CODE SPOT BEAM be a show stopper for you.

I get excellent HDTV reception from the NATL BROADCAST TV stations using the OTA BATWING Antenna here to pick up the digital full high def TV signals from the local towns where we camp here on the East side of the US...

We used to bring our DIRECTV SAt TV stuff with us all the time from the house but after the NATL BROADCAST changed over to the new digital format we just started watching those channels from the camp grounds. Don't bring along the SAT RCVR stuff anymore...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two comments and answers here..

First; The ZIP code is used in the receiver for only one or two uses. First it is is used in conjunction with a look up table to suggest initial angles for setting up the antenna.. If it has any other effect on the receiver (I am not sure) it is the time zone.. You need not set the zip code at all.

HOWEVER: Local Network Stations, the ones you can pick up over the air that broadcast ABC NBC, CBS and so on, Those are "Spot Beamed" A single spot beam can easily cover a hundred zip codes even several hundred zip codes however but it does not cover all of the USA. Thus if, like me, you like watching "Person of Interest" or CSI____, You will be out of luck if you drive too far.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Tech Issues forum.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
on dish I always just called dish and told them where I was and then I had that local area.

I had the Duo ViPยฎ 222k ....worked fine.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The simple answer is NO, the inputed Zip Code has no bearing on receiving the signal. The Zip is to aid in aligning a home type dish. The receiver will tell you the Azimuth and Elevation for the Zip code you are in. As another stated, IF you are in a specific area, some of the channels may be "spot Beamed" and will only hit the small geographic area you are in. Once you leave that Spot beamed area, you lose those channels. Doug

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are using a different kind of antenna than you have in your home you will need to go through the required Check Switch routine to get the receiver setup for that particular antenna. If you are not using the same LNB setup that you have at home you may not get all of the your channels either.
A few more details might help get you some better guidance.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as your antenna is aimed properly for your current location with a clear view of the sky, the receiver will work. As mentioned, if you travel outside of your local station spot beam, you will lose those stations. You can contact Dish and change your service address though, to get the locals for your current location.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
It will work, but if you get very far from home you won't get the locals as they are spot beamed.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow.. if Dish has that kind of technolgy going, it's news to me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman