cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell Company

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
We have Verizon (my bill is around $150.00 for two phones) now and am thinking of trying another company. We travel a lot around the country both by RV and car and plane.
Who should I not look at, and who should I look at.
So big a world, so little time to see.
20 REPLIES 20

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 for Tracfone... Our two Tracfone smartphones with Verizon service cost us on average about $16/month for both phones. For our other data needs, we have a Verizon Jetpack with a 20/GB per month plan at $100 plus $8/GB for overages. On a couple of rare occasions, we've been in a Verizon roaming area where our Tracfones didn't work but the Jetpack did, so we used a VOIP app on our phones for calls using a WiFi connection to the Jetpack.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We use TRCFONE and have for several years, it is the only one that has coverage at our home, they use other cell towers, all minutes not used are rolled over and also the cheapest available too.I do not use mine very often and it costs $20.00 for 3 month service and also I get double minutes and 200 minutes when i get a large amount of roll-over minutes I give it to the wife hwho can wipe those minutes down quickly.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We own our phones, no contract. Verizon 4gig 2 lines $85 includes the taxes. Stay with the best, don't believe the Sprint hype currently playing unless you like talking to yourself.
Sprint had to bring a portable tower to the Coke 400 in Daytona so their customers could have service. I thought that was hilarious. Right out front disguised as advertising.
Puma 30RKSS

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note on RingPlus (Sprint) 700min/700text/750MB-4G LTE - cost: $0.00 month. Two Apple iPhones on PagePlusCellular (Verizon) - cost: $7.00 month. Nokia Lumia 1020(WIN ๐Ÿ˜Ž on H20 Wireless (AT&T) - cost: $4.00 month. Needless to day, I don't use my smartphones that much. Mostly for cameras and apps. Sprint is primary and more than covers my needs. If no connection, then AT&T or Verizon.

When I had an AT&T Sony flip phone 10 years ago, I paid $50. month. How things have changed using MVNO.
In 1992 I think it was a cell phone company contacted me about putting a very large tower on some land I owned on the small mountain in Phoenix. We worked out a deal and at the end I told them I want free phones and 30 year free service and calling. They gave me 20 years with a 10 year renew, in 2012 the twenty was up and Verizon have bought out a few company along the way, but wouldn't not renew our agreement. It wasn't worth hiring a lawyer and go down the road, so that is why I'm not real happy about staying with them now that I have to pay. It is a personal thing.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I've been fulltiming for 3 years now and have been all over the country, except for the NE.

You definitely want something that runs on the Verizon system. Most will agree they have the best coverage by far. Probably why they are not the cheapest.

I have had an Iphone since I started out and have used Straight Talk since Day One. Mine runs on the Verizon system (I only wanted one of their phones that would run on the Verizon system). It's worked out great. I can count on 2 fingers the times I haven't had service. Monthly cost is $45 for unlimited talk, text, and sorta data (read how data works with them). No contract.

I have no complaints.

Straight Talk does not allow tethering so if you wanna do that you will need to look elsewhere.

Did I mention it is only $45/month ? On the Verizon system ?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note on RingPlus (Sprint) 700min/700text/750MB-4G LTE - cost: $0.00 month. Two Apple iPhones on PagePlusCellular (Verizon) - cost: $7.00 month. Nokia Lumia 1020(WIN ๐Ÿ˜Ž on H20 Wireless (AT&T) - cost: $4.00 month. Needless to day, I don't use my smartphones that much. Mostly for cameras and apps. Sprint is primary and more than covers my needs. If no connection, then AT&T or Verizon.

When I had an AT&T Sony flip phone 10 years ago, I paid $50. month. How things have changed using MVNO.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have Verizon and my wife has Consumer Cellular who uses AT&T towers. We usually both have coverage but once in a while one may not. Costs less then $100 a month for both.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
call and ask for a way to lower cost.

I have 2 phones AND a Verizon Tablet with a line .. for portable WiFi... with 8gb. and its under 150 a month.
I not so worried about the price, they are are within reason. The coverage is the most important, service. price is last. Thank you for all the help

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
call and ask for a way to lower cost.

I have 2 phones AND a Verizon Tablet with a line .. for portable WiFi... with 8gb. and its under 150 a month.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I learned a lot fast thank you all.
I wish they never invented a phone, but than, I married.
Hello

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have Verizon "flip phones". I had Verizon on an old grandfathered plan for about $80 per month for 2 phones, no data and 12 cents per text. Switched to Tracfone with their BYOP plan (Bring Your Own Phone). We pay under $7 per month each now and get more minutes AND texts than we can use. Only problem with Tracfone and Straight Talk is that they do not roam on Verizon so Mt Desert Island (Acadia) there is a lack of coverage. I have a smartphone on Tracfone AT&T service that has coverage where Verizon doesn't on the island.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
We have service from both Verizon & AT&T. When traveling west of the Mississippi River, it is rare that AT&T fails when we have Verizon service. Big Bend Texas & Alaska are AT&T country and Verizon fails.
Pick your poison.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I have a Smartphone from Tracfone. Uses Verizon. Haven't used it anywhere we could not get a signal. EXCEPT Big Bend and the campground in Ft. Davis but neither did anyone else. Did get a signal on top of a hill. Different plans and you can buy minutes as need. Also has texting and data. Can buy data as needed. We spend less than $20. per month and she texts everything. Bought them on Amazon.

Go to their website and check around. 750 minutes, 1000 texts and 1 gig of data for 60 days for $35. Can buy 1000 texts for $5. or 1 gig of data for $10. Prices are even lower depending on needs.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
$150 sounds high. I have four phones on the old family plan for less then that.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker