cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chromebook Email Program

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to Chromebook, but so far it has done everything I need to do while having my morning coffee.. (ie check certain web pages, Facebook, etc..) I have yet to find a good email app that is easy to use and will allow me to set up groups in my contacts for certain mailings.. Anyone recommend an easy to use email app other than BlueMail which is very difficult to use..
32 REPLIES 32

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Remember when PhotoBucket tried to hold peoples' pictures hostage if they didn't pay?

I remember that explicitly. Photobucket got taken by surprise when the rest of big tech suddenly would not only store your photo's, but also your music and everything else. It was instant obsolescence. But FJ, to your point, yes Crashplan and some other cloud companies got eaten up by the competition, but to Crashplan's credit the user's got 6 months notice and a welcome mat from another provider. At that point I decided to go with Acronis; because they won't be shutting their doors. These big tech companies already know everything about us. I was doing my taxes on PC, and when I went to save it, Microsoft flashed me a message "Don't you want to encrypt that?" The first and only time I've ever seen that. They know everything anyway.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
There should be a reasonable concern for remote server based storage. They do disappear, and with little warning. Just do a search and you'll find several. The fact that they are few will be of little solace if the you're one of the few affected.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
time2roll wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Remember when PhotoBucket tried to hold peoples' pictures hostage if they didn't pay?
I thought that was just blocking picture sharing on a public forum like this one.

I retrieved all my pictures and deleted my account.
Nothing was lost or held hostage.
It was, but that was my point, no warning, just one day you couldn't post your pictures without paying.
OK except by the example there should be no concern for document storage at Google for email.

If you are using a free service to publicly distribute or share information that would be a concern.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
You get what you pay for. I use a service that charges me a whopping $2 a month, but people won't even pay that.
Usually. However, the larger the company the more they have to lose if their reputation is sullied. I pay a piddly amount for use of Google's cloud storage and have no concerns. Besides, they provide automated backup (of everything including documents, email, contacts, photos, etc.) to your personal storage device just in case.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
You get what you pay for. I use a service that charges me a whopping $2 a month, but people won't even pay that.
Very true, I wouldn't.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I thought that was just blocking picture sharing on a public forum like this one.

It was, but that was my point, no warning, just one day you couldn't post your pictures without paying.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what cloud services disappear sans warning.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I store 'work stuff' in the cloud for collaboration but not important personal stuff.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
But since we know that data stored in "the cloud" is both stolen, and lost, and "cloud" services shut down with little to no warning, I wouldn't consider concern for your data stored in "the cloud" to be unwarranted or irrational.
You can have the last word since your belief would be steadfast even if I pointed out that IBM just bought RedHat to allow them to better compete in the booming cloud storage industry and that corporations obviously don't share your concerns about cloud storage risks.

I guess you never get in an automobile. ๐Ÿ™‚
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm wrote:
Yup, Been using mainframe/terminal since 1977 Terminal was a Teletype ASR28 back then if I recall correctly.. That was fun.
Probably ASR 32