cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chromebooks?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a long time Microsoft OS user, and have been curious about Chromebooks since they're priced a lot lower than other laptops. In my research I discovered many positive, as well as negative remarks concerning them. My main concern is being locked into Google things, like Chrome browser.

If any of you are currently using a Chromebook, I'd like to hear your positive/negative experiences. Thank you.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
34 REPLIES 34

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
This guy run Windows 10 in a Chromebook.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I deal with Chromebooks every day at work. They are good for surfing the web and using Google Docs, that's about it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have both Chrome and due to ONE PROGRAM windows.

I have only one that keeps me in Windows also, which is Turbotax Premier. I do see that you can get it in the cloud on Chromebook, but I like that CD rom that I get at Costco every year. I don't want to do my taxes in only the cloud.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:

Chromebook is not a "substitute" for a real PC if you are wanting 100% offline functionality and 100% compatibility with Windows based installed programs.

There is a productivity suite (3rd party) that runs on Chrome OS.. I dso not recall what it is but Alas I do not have it
There is a simple notepad type text editor as well

I have both Chrome and due to ONE PROGRAM windows. machines and I do most of my Productivity type stuff on the Windozew box because it's larger and easier for me to type on
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who actually *has* a Chromebook, I call BS...

Note the wifi status down in the lower right corner i.e. disconnected.

If you absolutely have to have Office 365, then you have the ability to use it.

For most people... I think Google Docs, Sheets, etc. will do just fine, and are well integrated with Google Drive and the whole ChromeOS experience. Almost like someone thought of all this stuff *years* ago...

And for the curious... here's a screen grab of the Office 365 entry in the Google Play store... along with me using the built-in ssh app to update my Unifi controller, and my Proxmox virtualization server running in the background:

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
Geeze wrote:
So I assume they wouldn't run windows based software? Is there anything like Word or Excel that would work on them?

Google has a licensing agreement with Microsoft. Word, Excel, Powerpoint and many others are right there in the play store. Onedrive is also there.

:R

Only works as long as you ARE connected to the Internet, zero OFFLINE capability.

Directly from MS HERE

"Q: Hi, I am using a Chromebook because it's much stable and easy to keep it clean than a Windows laptop (any model and price range). I prefer Office Online apps over Google Docs. My question is about a possibility of to use Office Online in the Offline mode, like Office 365 is offering this feature to registered users. I am not against to pay a license fee to use Office Online (or an Office 365 like) on my Chromebook as long as it is in offline mode!!

A:To use Office Web Apps (Office Online), you have to be online and need a Microsoft account.

There are no Microsoft Office programs that can be installed on a Chromebook OS to be used Offline.

To know more on Office Web Apps, refer to the following link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps/

I hope the above information helps. If you need further assistance, you may reply and Iโ€™ll be happy to assist you."

Chromebook is not a "substitute" for a real PC if you are wanting 100% offline functionality and 100% compatibility with Windows based installed programs.

Chromebook is nothing more than a ANDROID TABLET with a keyboard built on to it to make it a "laptop" form so don't expect to install any Windows software on it.

There are generic "look alike" similar Apps you can install on a Chromebook, but once again, very few will operate OFFLINE (without Internet) and the ones that do, may not have all features available when OFFLINE.

Chromebooks as well as any other Android based devices are designed to live around being connected to the Internet 24/7, that is where they work the best, OFFLINE mode is a compromise and a recent change to Chromebooks so not as much support of OFFLINE Apps.

There IS a reason Chromebooks are cheaply priced..

If you can work with and accept the limitations then Chromebook is for you but a real full fledged PC they are not.

GD, I think your a better nerd than me, but the date of the answer in your link regarding downloading MS Office is 2014. Check out this link from 2017 that says you can download it and use it offline? Is there something wrong in there maybe?
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
One MS Office look alike Android based app I have used is WPS Office, since newer versions of Chromebooks may now allow installation of Android Apps you might be able to install WPS Office..

THIS LINK discusses linking Drop box to WPS on a Chromebook

"Now that you can run Android apps on Chrome OS, the likes of WPS Office can be added to the Chrome OS arsenal of productivity apps.

Installation

The first thing you must do is install WPS Office--this can only be done on a Chromebook that supports the installation of Android apps. To find out what devices are currently supported and on which devices support is coming, check out this official list. You will also need to have the Google Play Store enabled on your device (read my article, "How to install Android apps on your supported Chromebook"). Now all you have to do is follow these steps.

Click the Chrome OS menu.
Locate and click the Play Store (beta) icon.
Search for WPS Office.
Locate and click the entry by Kingsoft Office Software.
Click INSTALL.
Allow the installation to complete.

You should see an entry for WPS Office in your Chrome OS menu. Click to open the app."

WPS Office can be used OFFLINE, but be very aware, new versions of WPS are extremely heavy laden with ad pollution unless you buy it.

For more info on installing Android Apps on a Chromebook see HERE

You can checkout WPS Office website HERE

But be aware, it IS NOT MS OFFICE, it has limitations and less features than MS OFFICE and is a lot clunkier.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
T18skyguy wrote:
Geeze wrote:
So I assume they wouldn't run windows based software? Is there anything like Word or Excel that would work on them?

Google has a licensing agreement with Microsoft. Word, Excel, Powerpoint and many others are right there in the play store. Onedrive is also there.

:R

Only works as long as you ARE connected to the Internet, zero OFFLINE capability.

Directly from MS HERE

"Q: Hi, I am using a Chromebook because it's much stable and easy to keep it clean than a Windows laptop (any model and price range). I prefer Office Online apps over Google Docs. My question is about a possibility of to use Office Online in the Offline mode, like Office 365 is offering this feature to registered users. I am not against to pay a license fee to use Office Online (or an Office 365 like) on my Chromebook as long as it is in offline mode!!

A:To use Office Web Apps (Office Online), you have to be online and need a Microsoft account.

There are no Microsoft Office programs that can be installed on a Chromebook OS to be used Offline.

To know more on Office Web Apps, refer to the following link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps/

I hope the above information helps. If you need further assistance, you may reply and Iโ€™ll be happy to assist you."

Chromebook is nothing more than a ANDROID TABLET with a keyboard built on to it to make it a "laptop" form so don't expect to install any Windows software on it.

There are generic "look alike" similar Apps you can install on a Chromebook, but once again, very few will operate OFFLINE (without Internet) and the ones that do, may not have all features available when OFFLINE.

Chromebooks as well as any other Android based devices are designed to live around being connected to the Internet 24/7, that is where they work the best, OFFLINE mode is a compromise and a recent change to Chromebooks so not as much support of OFFLINE Apps.

There IS a reason Chromebooks are cheaply priced..

If you can work with and accept the limitations then Chromebook is for you but a real full fledged PC they are not.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Actually, I kind of like that. It's amazing how I can be searching google for something or talking about it on here, and then I start seeing ads for those products. I don't have a problem with that.

These are my feelings exactly. I get adds about kayak fishing products instead of women hygiene products or the latest in snowflake shoes. In my opinion this is a win.

Also using Sheets or Docs you can work on something and seemlessly integrate it with Excel or Word. This can even be done offline. People just assume a Chromebook can't do anything offline.

They are NOT Windows computers and shouldn't be expected to compete the same way. That being said, we are currently parked about 30 feet from a lake with the walleyes starting to bite and we are each on our own Chromebook. The new Windows 10 laptop with a hybrid SSD that boots nearly as fast as our Chromebooks is sitting at home because Windows is just too "clunky" to use for 95 percent of our use.

If you need particular programs on a Windows machine, such as my ham radio logging program, video editing, or my wifes accounting programs you still need to use a windows laptop. For "normal" speadsheets, word processing etc. a Windows computer is no longer needed.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Geeze wrote:

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
Geeze wrote:

Ever hear of Google Docs?

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
My main concern is being locked into Google things, like Chrome browser.

Your not trapped with the Chrome browser. You can also download the Brave browser from the play store. Brave was built for privacy. There might be even more options. Ever since I bought this Pixelbook, it's like it never leaves my lap. It's light, speedy, has very long battery life cause it needs no fan. I love the thing and hope they come out with a Pixelbook 2. One thing to know, is don't get a cheapie and expect good performance. Get a middle to higher end model and I think you'll like it. I have a lot of computers but the Pixelbook is my daily driver.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:
TenOC wrote:
They do NOT have a hard drive. All data in on the cloud.. . :S . . :h

Sounds like a positive thing as there's one less component to wear out if it was a mechanical HD.

A hard drive no. A slot in the side that takes hard cards (Micro SD) yes I think one of mine is 64 Gigs I've seen cards up to 128 I have assorted SD cards here Which reminds me I need to store a video.
Thanks
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times