cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Computer help

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
All of a sudden, my computer has started to do the strangest things, words are underlined and when I accidentally hover near one, I get some advertisement. It saids online.com but I can't find a program on my computer If anyone knows how to get rid of it, I would appreciate it.
18 REPLIES 18

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
OMG there it was. I looked all over for that damn thing and couldn't find it. I am in your debt Thanks again so much

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Ooo let me try

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
BUT today I found that it only happens when I use Chrome??

Websites can change your browser setup. Chrome makes it easy to check. Click on the three bars at top right of Chrome screen and click on settings. One thing that can be changed is the website(s) opened when you start your browser, set here in the 3rd bullet under "On startup."

The other thing is that extensions can be added. Click on Extensions in top left of the Settings window and look if there are extensions installed that you did not request.

This is often what leads to what you describe.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
So, I tried everything suggested and nothing worked at all. I even purchased the updated Malwarebytes and a new (Consumer's Report} recommended anti virus and nothing helped. BUT today I found that it only happens when I use Chrome?? So that is an easy fix. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Vixen21
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
VIXIN21 - Do you know which version number this is for the ANTI-MALWARE. I was running Version 2.0.4.1028 and I get this new update is available which i clicked on.

It downloaded Version 2.1.6.1022 which turns out to be a 14-day FREE VERSION which has expired already.

Now they want me to pay for upgrade. I can't seem to find the older 2.0.4.1028 to get back my full free version MALWAREBYTES FREE VERSION.

We use FIREFOX here...

I know I can can just download what you have here but would like to know which version it was first if I could...

MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE and ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE 8 are the two programs we have been using for a long time now...

Roy Ken

The version is 2.1.6.1022 and it should be the free version.
Uninstall the trial version before installing the free version.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Use System Restore to restore windows registry to a date prior to when problems started.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from Tech Issues
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Malewarebytes free is your best option. Follow the link given above. I use it every month or two. It solves alot of problems.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
VIXIN21 - Do you know which version number this is for the ANTI-MALWARE. I was running Version 2.0.4.1028 and I get this new update is available which i clicked on.

It downloaded Version 2.1.6.1022 which turns out to be a 14-day FREE VERSION which has expired already.

Now they want me to pay for upgrade. I can't seem to find the older 2.0.4.1028 to get back my full free version MALWAREBYTES FREE VERSION.

We use FIREFOX here...

I know I can can just download what you have here but would like to know which version it was first if I could...

MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE and ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE 8 are the two programs we have been using for a long time now...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Grumble Grumble. sometimes I wish I could send a worm back to these hackers on par with the one someone used on against nuclear project computers in Iran.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
All of a sudden, my computer has started to do the strangest things, words are underlined and when I accidentally hover near one, I get some advertisement. It saids online.com but I can't find a program on my computer If anyone knows how to get rid of it, I would appreciate it.

yeah - it's more malware that Virus. It was really popular a couple of years ago. I thought it had died out.

If you're not using Firefox or Chrome, I'd switch to one or the other. They do a much better job of blocking and supporting plugins that IE.

Like the last person posted, download and run the Free version of Malware Bytes. It'll clean it out.

Vixen21
Explorer
Explorer

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
That was security update 4.3.2.3.4.1.2, which was an invalid patch eighteen seconds after being released.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I thought Microsoft security updates for Windows 7, covered this issue? WTH?