cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Core i7 phablet + big flatscreen?

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
If the cell phone as smartphone is not a fad, and they become more CPU powerhouses, and if the 7-8โ€ tablet (tabs are a fad, I think) is what tablet fans prefer, and if some serious detailed power computing like CAD, photoshop, art layouts, enterprise-take-home software is in the typical household mixโ€ฆ

Core i7 phablet + big flatscreen?
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy
5 REPLIES 5

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
that lenovo was praised by Ballmer at the recent Win 8.1 presentation. I am very intrigued by the ubiquitous move to 7 and 8 in tablets - Ballmer gave Acer 7" tabs away at the conference and is rumored to be doing one of their own.

As tabs go to 7", they can double as phones. These little phablets will not be much fun for a group to watch Netflix or to play power games, but they can hook to a TV if the tech improves. With W8 on board, hook to a monitor...

Ubuntu is doing this w/ their phone plans.

New Intel power mobile chips, W8, $700 computer phones, it's a natural to multipurpose these gadgets.

rgodfrey
Explorer
Explorer
This is not cheap, but it seems to be a nice device. I set one up for a customer a couple of weeks ago. Initially I was skeptical, but after playing with it for a couple hours, I was impressed.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/thinkpad/thinkpad-helix/index.html
2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J (Workhorse Chasis)
2010 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
I assume OP wants use the big screen as the tablet display. My Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (which is kind of dog) will push 1080 HDMI to a TV and i have a BT mouse and keyboard. Sounds great but execution is poor. The keyboard and mouse will lag and disconnect. The other issue is the DRM police block protected content from being pushed on some phones and tablets. Despite being a the dog it is my Tab is HDCP compliant and will stream things like Netflix, DirecTV, HBO, Sho and Max to the TV.

I am more excited about the little Android HDMI dongles for the TV. I'd buy one but they have mixed reviews and none do HDCP compliant HDMI.

For me tablets are too big to be a phone and too small to be a PC. For couch surfing, and Internet and maps on the road they are unbeatable.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Remember the ipad is only a few y/o and phablets are very new

Tabbiesโ€™ will succumb to what makes DVRs a smash hit

safn1949
Explorer
Explorer
Tablets are far from being a fad,they are killing desktop and laptop computer sales. I have a Toshiba L875,17" with an I3 that new this year is less then $600 retail. I got it for $320. That laptop just a few years ago was $1000+. They have to drop prices to compete.

New laptops from best buy were $269 a few months ago.I buy,refurbish and sell laptops for less then $125.

I have 3 tablets and my 10" Toshiba will run circles around anything much smaller then my I3. You should see the graphics on that tablet,and it's not even the newest model.