cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Tv Problem

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
I completed the swm 8 installation on my Winegard T4 dome diish. I have my hr5400 receiver hooked to the Power Inserter and the Power Inserter connected to the swm1 position. I have my h24 receiver connected to the swm2 postion.

I turned everything on and set the h24 receiver to 18” round and swm and it worked fine and received all channels and accessed my recordings on the hr5400. However when I tried to set the hr5400 receiver to 18” round, it wouldn’t allow me to do this. It only gave me a choice of 3lnb or 5lnb. Has anyone had this problem and how did you correct it.

I believe my swm8 installation is correct and if I can set the hr5400 receiver correctly, my problem will be solved. Thanks
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
8 REPLIES 8

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,

Thanks again. I hooked both receivers up and hide hd channels on both. Hr5400 was set on sl3 and h24 was set on 18” Dish. I also did not power them up at the same time.

Everything worked great. We can view different Channels on both televisions and record and view recordings on both televisions. Although everything is sd , we are so happy with this configuration and hope Directv changes to hd on 101 next year. By the way, it was fairly easy to do this conversion.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bill,

Yes I am using the Power Inserter included with the kit. Will now try it in the sl3 setting.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
hpdrver wrote:
I completed the swm 8 installation on my Winegard T4 dome diish. I have my hr5400 receiver hooked to the Power Inserter and the Power Inserter connected to the swm1 position. I have my h24 receiver connected to the swm2 postion.

I turned everything on and set the h24 receiver to 18” round and swm and it worked fine and received all channels and accessed my recordings on the hr5400. However when I tried to set the hr5400 receiver to 18” round, it wouldn’t allow me to do this. It only gave me a choice of 3lnb or 5lnb. Has anyone had this problem and how did you correct it.

I believe my swm8 installation is correct and if I can set the hr5400 receiver correctly, my problem will be solved. Thanks

It sounds like you have it all wired right. You are using the NEW power inserter that goes with the SWM8 switch, right. It will be a PI29 (29V) and not the home unit which is a PI25 (25V) and built-in to the HR54.
As you discovered, the HR54 will not allow the 18" round option but should work just fine with the Oval 3 LNB setting. Be sure to change the settings in the "settings-display" section to HIDE HD CHANNELS".
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
I’m pretty sure the sat box will work without the PI. It’s the LNB that needs the PI.

IGNORE this post.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Afaik there is no dome dish that works for DTV HD...unless you only want SD, and then there'd be no reason for Swm.

IGNORE this post!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’m pretty sure the sat box will work without the PI. It’s the LNB that needs the PI.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman

I know it is only SD but the purpose of swm8 was to be able to use my home receiver. I installed the swm8 kit in accordance with the Winegard manual.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Afaik there is no dome dish that works for DTV HD...unless you only want SD, and then there'd be no reason for Swm.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman