cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV receivers?

Farmer_David
Explorer
Explorer
Folks I am not very smart on sat. tv but trying to learn. I now use dish but thinking of going to Direct tv. In my RV I use a Winegard carry out and it says with the paper work I have to have a multi-switch receiver I can not find any information on which direct tv receivers are multi-switch does anyone know which receivers will work or where do I find this information?
2013 F450 King Ranch CC Long Box
60 Gal RDS Tank
20K B&W OEM Hitch
2013 Lifestyle 37IK
8 REPLIES 8

Farmer_David
Explorer
Explorer
Bill Satelite Thank You very much that answered a lot of my questions
2013 F450 King Ranch CC Long Box
60 Gal RDS Tank
20K B&W OEM Hitch
2013 Lifestyle 37IK

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your Carryout will work with every DTV receiver with a model number of H24 or lower. Since no portable dome style antenna can receive the DTV HD programming I would recommend that you buy a D12 (less than $100) and be done with it.
You will have great service and you won't have to pay for the HD service if you buy an "H" receiver even though you can't receive the HD programming.
For about $100 worth of additional hardware your Carryout could also work with the H25 or Genie receiver. If you like to use a DVR the Genie is "the bees knees!" and the additional hardware to make the Carryout compatible with the Genie is well worthwhile.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clay L wrote:
The H24 and lower number receivers can accept multi switch dishes.
Some of them will also work with SWM dishes. Selecting the dish size/type and Multi Switch/SWM is done with menu settings.

I have an H24 and have used it with an 18 inch round multi switch dish (SD), a Slimline 5 SWM dish (HD), a Slimline 3 multi switch dish (HD), and a Slimline 3 SWM dish (HD). Some will require a power inserter (SWMs) and some will require a B Band Converter.

What Clay L said.

The D series and the H series up to 24 will work with a multi-switch. Anything in the D series before D12 ONLY works with a multi-switch.

I had 3 D11 receivers, but wanted to switch my house to SWM while leaving the RV line as multi-switch, so I bought 3 D12 receivers and a SWM8 and power inserter. I installed the SWM for the house, but ran a LEGACY (read multi-switch) line to the RV so the RV D12 would stay multi-switch compatible. That way, on RV trips, it works seamlessly with my portable antenna.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
The H24 and lower number receivers can accept multi switch dishes.
Some of them will also work with SWM dishes. Selecting the dish size/type and Multi Switch/SWM is done with menu settings.

I have an H24 and have used it with an 18 inch round multi switch dish (SD), a Slimline 5 SWM dish (HD), a Slimline 3 multi switch dish (HD), and a Slimline 3 SWM dish (HD). Some will require a power inserter (SWMs) and some will require a B Band Converter.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
the winegard website sells compatible receivers. all last year i tried to get a non compatible to work in my camper, this season i went for their website to purchase.

took it out last weekend, and dang it, i hadn't registered it with my dtv account.

if next time i go to set it up, it wont work i'm done with it all together.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

docj
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
I believe that all their receives are multi switch.

No, most of the receivers can use a multi-switch; the HR25 and the Genie cannot (maybe a few others by now).
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I would talk to Directv. I believe that all their receives are multi switch. You go into setup and set multi switch and then select the dish type. We have the basic D12 receiver. This might help: http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/receiver_setup_carryout_directv.pdf
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Farmer David wrote:
does anyone know which receivers will work or where do I find this information?
A google search of 'directv multi' found stuff.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman