Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv on the road

ttharrisons
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We're headed out this weekend for a nice camping trip. We're going somewhere that doesn't have cable at the sites. In the past, I would take my directv box from home connect to my dish that i have in my trailer. I'm told that since I have the newer directv receiver, the HR44, my old dish (LNB) would not work.

I have no idea if it's possible to get the right LNB locally in the Sacramento area, and online probably wouldn't be delivered before we leave. We be without tv, but does anyone know if/how I can watch what we already have recorded on our HR44?. If nothing else, we can at least get caught on our favorite shows.

tks
Derrick/Brenda/2 kids & Sissy (our Yellow Lab)
'01 Ford F250 SuperDuty Crew Cab
Triton V10 / 3.73 / Prodigy Brake Controller
'03 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS-5er
12 REPLIES 12

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I watch the recorded programming on my Genie while driving down the road. I have a Trav'ler so there's no chance of receiving the satellite signal. Works great.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourself a favor and go on over to here. They have everything you need. You can certainly watch recorded programs without a sat signal.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
We have the HR 44 Geni. The installer told us that we can watch recorded programs without the dish attached.

Turn the system on, while it searches for the antenna, bring up the "list" and there ya go!

I believe that if the system ends up rebooting 3 times without getting a satellite lock it will make it impossible to view the recorded programming because the guide data will have been erased. The recorded programs will still be there, but you won't be able to access them until you once again let the receiver have a satellite signal.

I have never been able to watch shows already recorded on my Directv DVR without a sat signal. Kinda frustrating.

Wish there was a way to fix that issue. I also don't understand WHY it's an issue.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

docj
Explorer
Explorer
restlesswind wrote:
We have the HR 44 Geni. The installer told us that we can watch recorded programs without the dish attached.

Turn the system on, while it searches for the antenna, bring up the "list" and there ya go!

I believe that if the system ends up rebooting 3 times without getting a satellite lock it will make it impossible to view the recorded programming because the guide data will have been erased. The recorded programs will still be there, but you won't be able to access them until you once again let the receiver have a satellite signal.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

ttharrisons
Explorer
Explorer
Great info...thanks for the feedback!
Derrick/Brenda/2 kids & Sissy (our Yellow Lab)
'01 Ford F250 SuperDuty Crew Cab
Triton V10 / 3.73 / Prodigy Brake Controller
'03 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS-5er

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
ttharrisons wrote:
Hi,

We're headed out this weekend for a nice camping trip. We're going somewhere that doesn't have cable at the sites. In the past, I would take my directv box from home connect to my dish that i have in my trailer. I'm told that since I have the newer directv receiver, the HR44, my old dish (LNB) would not work.

I have no idea if it's possible to get the right LNB locally in the Sacramento area, and online probably wouldn't be delivered before we leave. We be without tv, but does anyone know if/how I can watch what we already have recorded on our HR44?. If nothing else, we can at least get caught on our favorite shows.

tks

You old antenna will (cannot) work. You either need to get the SWM3 LNB and dish or add a SWM8 kit to your old antenna. The SWM8 kit will make it work but you will still only receive the 101 satellite and only receive SD programming. It should be pretty easy to get a new antenna/LNB setup. Check with your local dealer or order one from Amazon and have it in 2 days or less.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't rule out picking up NATL BROADCAST CLEAR HDTV frm the local towns... Use your BATWING OTA antenna...

Try it out at home before you leave to learn how to use it for ANTENNA TV...

We do this all the time across the East part of the US. Works great for us picking the the CLEAR TV DIGITAL HDTV signals..

We get lots of HDTV channels over the CLEAR HDTV...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I am just recording all the shows I like to watch and will watch them in the evenings.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Your HR44 Genie is a SWM-only device. Your old dish uses the older "multi-switch" system. The simplest thing to do is to convert your existing dish and LNB (assuming your LNB has two coax outputs) to SWM by adding a SWM8 switch and a PI-29 power inserter. You can get both of these on Amazon but I'm not sure if they would be available in a local store. Any DirecTV installer would have them if they will sell to you.

To be very clear, if your LNB has two coax outputs you don't need to change your LNB just add the SWM8 and the PI29. If you have only one coax from the LNB you would need to change to a SWM3 LNB; in that case you would need a PI-21 power inserter and wouldn't need the SWM8

If you aren't familiar with setting up a SWM system, take a look at this guide posted by Winegard. You don't need to have a Winegard system to understand how the wiring should be set up; just use the basic principles. Using non-SWM hardware in a SWM system
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hr44? That is the Genie right?
Then you need an oval dish setup for SWM. That includes power supply, splitter and the correct LNB. Several online resellers will get you setup easily and overnight delivers can be had for a price.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Take it out and give it a try for the rest of us.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE