cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV or Dish

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
DirecTV has stopped supporting my receiver so I am thinking about going to dish. Give me some feed back on this subject. I can't get DirecTV to send me the new receiver.
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down
26 REPLIES 26

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dish has been our provider for several years. Extremely satisfied with our ability to boondock and still watch college football when Michigan and/or Notre Dame are playing.

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps one of you Dish users can confirm that Dish Anywhere will allow me to see anything on my home DVR from any location. That is to say that if I am in Florida, I can watch something recorded on my DVR in Missouri as long as I have an internet connection.

That feature might be worth giving up NFL Sunday Ticket.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob_nestor wrote:
I've had both DirecTV and DishTV and own the receivers I have. Over the years I'd switch back and forth because of pricing changes. But I've pretty much stopped doing that after my last switch back to DishTV. Other than the constantly escalating prices the things I like about Dish at home and on the road are: at home I get the HD channels at no extra cost, I get most of my locals at no extra cost and I can integrate most of my remaining local stations with a simple antenna attachment. On the road I can use DishAnywhere without the need for an extra receiver, dish setup or monthly payment - all I need is a network connection and my Mobley works fine for that in most places. This setup allows me to stream all my local channels including the ones I can only get from my home antenna, and all my Dish channels. I use a FireTV Stick in the RV do do this and that also gives me access to a bunch of other free content.

This is the part I am very interested in... I think you can do the same with DirecTV... When you get away from your home may be the real problem to deal with??? I suspect DISH is better at this than DIRECTV...

I picked up one of those $88 PHILLIPS 24-inch smart TV's from Walmart and can watch al kinds of internet based things.. great picture and sound...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had both DirecTV and DishTV and own the receivers I have. Over the years I'd switch back and forth because of pricing changes. But I've pretty much stopped doing that after my last switch back to DishTV. Other than the constantly escalating prices the things I like about Dish at home and on the road are: at home I get the HD channels at no extra cost, I get most of my locals at no extra cost and I can integrate most of my remaining local stations with a simple antenna attachment. On the road I can use DishAnywhere without the need for an extra receiver, dish setup or monthly payment - all I need is a network connection and my Mobley works fine for that in most places. This setup allows me to stream all my local channels including the ones I can only get from my home antenna, and all my Dish channels. I use a FireTV Stick in the RV do do this and that also gives me access to a bunch of other free content.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cottontop wrote:
DirecTV has stopped supporting my receiver so I am thinking about going to dish. Give me some feed back on this subject. I can't get DirecTV to send me the new receiver.

Just because the stopped supporting the old receiver does not mean you can't use a newer receiver with your antenna. If you can't get them to send you an H24 receiver (assuming you have a dome or an old 18" round antenna) you can purchase one pretty cheaply.
If you do have a dome and plan to move to DISH, be sure the antenna is new enough to support the DISH service. The older domes (pre-2012, I think) can't handle the changes DISH made.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have had Dish at home and the RV for many many years and have always been happy with it. And have always had great customer service the few times I needed it.
Some love Dish.
Some hate Dish.
Some love Directv.
Some hate Directv.
Take your pick of opinions.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
They sent me another receiver right away. I have an H-24 and a G3 dome.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A credit issue?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I've got Dish at home and keep a Tailgater in the RV. I want to give a thumbs-up to Dish customer service. On he fhe few occasions that I have had a problem, a technical support person has stayed on the phone with me for as long as it takes.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Well we have Dish and it is great. We're on the pay as you go plan with no contracts and their mobile app allows you to change your local channels right on the app when traveling the country. Seems like everything ATT gets into turns to **** like DirecTV
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I would think if Direct wanted to keep you as a customer they would give you the equipment you need. If you are otherwise happy with them call them and explain that they are forcing you to go to Dish by not supplying you with a receiver.
I have Dish and am happy. I use a receiver out of the house and an antenna on a tripod for the trailer.
I have heard more people complain about radical price increases after the "Honeymoon Period" is over with Direct than I have with Dish.
Ask for the "Loyalty Dept" or "Customer Retention Rep" when you call.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
why won't they send receiver?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman