cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish For Dummies

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is all new to me so I have a lot of questions. We have Dish at home. The main receiver says Hopper Sling and has a plastic card (data card?) that says G4. We also have Joeys in the house.

We recently bought a 2008 Winnebago that had a Dish Tailgater and a satellite dish hard mounted on the roof of the RV. There were 2 dish receivers, 1 for each satellite dish. We don't generally watch much TV and I decided to sell the tailgater and that receiver. We just didn't have the extra room in our small RV to haul it around with us. I know it would provide better reception than the crank up roof model, but that isn't what I need to know. Our next campsite has great line of sight of the southern sky so I am trying to figure out what I need to hook this stuff up.

I am thinking of leaving behind the receiver that was in the RV as I'd have to call and get it added to our system. Using logic only, I assume that I'd have to unhook and bring my main Hopper receiver as I think the Joeys need to be connected to the main receiver to work, right? If I am wrong, can I just bring a Joey and use that as my receiver? What will I be giving up? If I need to bring the main Hopper receiver will it be a problem if I unhook it from my home system and then re-install it when I return? I apologize in advance for the "see spot run" type of questions but I hope someone will help me out and explain how this all works together. I do have the instruction manuals that came with the RV and I plan to read them when we arrive at our site. I assume those will tell me how to find the satellite and what cables I need to hook where. I just want to be sure I bring the right stuff with me and get this right the first time. Thanks!
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!
17 REPLIES 17

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Your Hopper/Joey will only work correctly with an open-faced portable dish or a rooftop Winegard Travler.

You can't really use your Tailgater to hook up your Hopper.

Since you probably already have a VIP211 receiver for your Tailgater, it would be much more easier to just reactivate your 211 receiver & then use the Tailgater.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Figured it wasn't that easy. As the RV has a Dish dish already installed shouldn't that have a node attached to it? Is the node specific to the receiver? I can't hook it up at home as I don't have that line of sight from the RV roof. I've been reading here and elsewhere. It appears that the Joeys are not stand alone devices as I suspected. The RV does have a non DVR Dish receiver in it. I may just bite the bullet and have that one activated if it isn't too expensive. The RV is at the storage lot so I can't be more specific right now. I plan to bring it home tomorrow to pack for our trip so I can check out what is there better then. This isn't hugely important as it is only a 5 day trip and usually we just watch DVDs at night. I just thought that it would be a good opportunity to get it set up. Thanks!
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
ol' yeller wrote:
This is all new to me so I have a lot of questions. We have Dish at home. The main receiver says Hopper Sling and has a plastic card (data card?) that says G4. We also have Joeys in the house.

We recently bought a 2008 Winnebago that had a Dish Tailgater and a satellite dish hard mounted on the roof of the RV. There were 2 dish receivers, 1 for each satellite dish. We don't generally watch much TV and I decided to sell the tailgater and that receiver. We just didn't have the extra room in our small RV to haul it around with us. I know it would provide better reception than the crank up roof model, but that isn't what I need to know. Our next campsite has great line of sight of the southern sky so I am trying to figure out what I need to hook this stuff up.

I am thinking of leaving behind the receiver that was in the RV as I'd have to call and get it added to our system. Using logic only, I assume that I'd have to unhook and bring my main Hopper receiver as I think the Joeys need to be connected to the main receiver to work, right? If I am wrong, can I just bring a Joey and use that as my receiver? What will I be giving up? If I need to bring the main Hopper receiver will it be a problem if I unhook it from my home system and then re-install it when I return? I apologize in advance for the "see spot run" type of questions but I hope someone will help me out and explain how this all works together. I do have the instruction manuals that came with the RV and I plan to read them when we arrive at our site. I assume those will tell me how to find the satellite and what cables I need to hook where. I just want to be sure I bring the right stuff with me and get this right the first time. Thanks!

Not that easy. You would have to take the hopper and what they call the Node for it to work. Not sure where your Node is, but mine is by the dish on the house. supposedly the closer to the dish the better is.

Also depends on what type of dish you have. It it a manual dish or automatic. More info would be needed.

try hooking up before your trip would be my recommendation.

2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS