cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DISH TAILGATER???

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
ANYONE HAVE THE TAILGATER BY DISH for their Rv to use just when u r doing some camping once in a while???? does it work as they say after u buy the equipment that u only pay for when you activate it... If not used for 3 4 months there are no charges for anything? any pros or cons about the system and service???
thanks...
20 REPLIES 20

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
37K miles with my Pathway X2! No issues.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from tech issues
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
I notice Dish has a one time fee of $40 to add a DVR. Is it truly one time? If you start and stop the service does the DVR fee ever get recharged?

The $40 fee to add an external hard drive and DVR functions to the Wally or VIP 211 series receivers is truly a one time thing per account. Even if you replace a 211 with a Wally or add a second receiver and hard drive, you won't be charged again.

Thank you - very helpful and timely.

Well when we added the DVR, they waved the charge, we bought the Dish DVR. It works great.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Busdriver wrote:
Have it, works as advertised. If you have dish at home ,cost seven dollars a month. Can make a phone call or use chat to turn on and off

Or use the MyDish app after you signup.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
I notice Dish has a one time fee of $40 to add a DVR. Is it truly one time? If you start and stop the service does the DVR fee ever get recharged?

The $40 fee to add an external hard drive and DVR functions to the Wally or VIP 211 series receivers is truly a one time thing per account. Even if you replace a 211 with a Wally or add a second receiver and hard drive, you won't be charged again.

Thank you - very helpful and timely.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did a trip through the UP Michigan, Minnesota, and North Dakota and were on the eastern arc the entire time. Once south of the 42nd parallel, we could get the western arc again. That was Wally on a Pathway X2.

Be aware that some of the local channels (Denver in particular) only broadcast on the western arc.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
The older Tailgater only get the western arc of birds. When we were north of 42ยฐ latitude, we were on the eastern arc. The newer Tailgater is supposed to get both arcs. Check and make sure it does.

I see nothing on the King Controls site indicating any of their automatic dishes have Dish eastern arc capability. Western arc only apparently...

Tailgater 4 just released.

It's in the "Features" section Here

Ah... Ok, I hadn't seen that listed. The listing is a bit misleading though, since only the eastern arc 61.5 sat can be received as a replacement for the western arc 129 sat. You still need western arc access for the 110 and 119 sats for the full programming spread. And the 61.5 sat is only accessible with a Wally, not the 211 series boxes. That's the same setup the recent Winegard update adds for the Playmaker.

WALLY RECEIVERS: Your television programming is delivered from up to 3 of 4 satellites located at the 61.5ยฐ, 110ยฐ, 119ยฐ and 129ยฐ west longitudes. You will choose between two groups of satellites based on where you are in the country: the 61.5, 110, 119 trio and the 110, 119, 129 trio.

DT4400 & DT4450 Ownerโ€™s Manual
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
The older Tailgater only get the western arc of birds. When we were north of 42ยฐ latitude, we were on the eastern arc. The newer Tailgater is supposed to get both arcs. Check and make sure it does.

I see nothing on the King Controls site indicating any of their automatic dishes have Dish eastern arc capability. Western arc only apparently...

It sounds like you MUST use a Wally receiver for complete coverage including the EA satellites.
Northeast coverage requires use of Wally receiver.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:

Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelyn wrote:
Thanks for ALL THE RESPONSES, LOOKS LIKE DISH WILL BE OUR CHOICE.... WILL SHOP AROUND FOR ANY SALES on the tailgater. will not need it now until feb or so.
thanks again for all the help...

If you want a better option than the Tailgater, take a look at the Winegard Pathway X2. It has full Dish eastern and western arc satellite reception capability, and the larger reflector means less rain fade. Having both arc reception choice means more aiming opportunities on heavily treed campsites.
Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:

Dutch

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for ALL THE RESPONSES, LOOKS LIKE DISH WILL BE OUR CHOICE.... WILL SHOP AROUND FOR ANY SALES on the tailgater. will not need it now until feb or so.
thanks again for all the help...

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
There is something special about camping in an RV.