cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish tripod

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
Going to use Direct tv dish. Is a high quality tripod worth the money? Look at one on TV4RV. Is pricey but looks good.
23 REPLIES 23

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
I have a good tripod, but haven't had to use it for years. I fabricated a bracket, and attached a 2" conduit along the back right side of my Toy Hauler. Use my ramp and cables with a 6' step to install and adjust the dish, and then just use the RV ladder to get on roof to remove. Works out pretty well. I will bring my tripod if I am camping in a location with possible obstructions to the Sats.
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
HTElectrical wrote:
Is this the correct LNB?
Yes. That's the same one on my Slimline. I can't vouch for its use with any other dish. The Slim's do get heavy and bulky to cart around, have to admit that.

If you move a lot I think you'll find the more expensive tripod easier to deal with.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the correct LNB? It is only $22.00 so it can't hurt to try it, especially if I don't have to use my HUGE dish for the RV. I have a spare 21V power inserter already.

This One?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
HTElectrical wrote:
what kind of signal strength #'s are you getting on the 3 sats?
I shoot the 101 to > 90, usually 93. The others will be in the 70+ range, highest around 85. That works.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the signal strengths I get:

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since I'm in the south I get 96+ on 101 and low 90s on the other two if I'm careful plumbing the tripod.

I converted my large Hugh's Net/MotoSat dish to HD TV so I could get HD in Jasper Canada.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Yes a SL3 will bolt on the dish above. There may be a notch on the SL3 that requires spreading the U shaped mounting apart slightly.

What kind of signal strength #'s are you getting on the 3 sats?

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
I previously bought a Slimline system system that just didn't work right. The signal strengths were way down. Lots of trial and error testing including replacing the LNB. Others who bought this system complained about the exact same thing. Nothing helped. I finally determined that the shape of the reflector or arm geometry was wrong. I bought the current system and couldn't be happier. It is a lot more than just changing out the reflector mechanically. The LNB, arm, and mounting assembly must be exactly matched to the reflector or it just won't work. Trust what I am saying. Been there, done that. Best of luck to you HTElectrical.

Thanks for the heads up. I will try the Slimline I have currently and maybe buy the SL3 for testing purposes. I just hate having to change my favorites on my remote from the home setup to the RV. (getting lazy in my old age)

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I previously bought a Slimline system system that just didn't work right. The signal strengths were way down. Lots of trial and error testing including replacing the LNB. Others who bought this system complained about the exact same thing. Nothing helped. I finally determined that the shape of the reflector or arm geometry was wrong. I bought the current system and couldn't be happier. It is a lot more than just changing out the reflector mechanically. The LNB, arm, and mounting assembly must be exactly matched to the reflector or it just won't work. Trust what I am saying. Been there, done that. Best of luck to you HTElectrical.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes a SL3 will bolt on the dish above. There may be a notch on the SL3 that requires spreading the U shaped mounting apart slightly.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
If you notice on the picture I posted, the LNB is attached to an arm that is bolted to another arm.

That is what I was asking. I have a Slimline setup, but the dish is huge compared to my 3 LNB Multiswitch dish (SD Only). Can I use that 18" x 20" dish with the new SL3 LNB to get HD?

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the DirecTV system that I used and it works great. Of course you will have to buy RG-6 coax as needed. In case you might need a simple hook up drawing, here is one.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry I'm on my phone so search EBay for "18X20 satellite dish" you will find what I use. Yes, the SL3 LNB will bolt on and the dish has the tilt adjustment necessary to get HD. The secret to getting all three satellites is making sure the mast of the tripod is plumb.. perfectly up/down and then you just peak 101 the same as for SD.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I used a similar low cost roof mount tripod, but I used a little differnt hardware setup for the levelers. I also modified my Dish dish for a no tools needed setup and adjustment.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate