Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do Not Disturb While Driving mobile feature coming

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
This is brilliant!

It is coming for iPhone but should be a mandatory feature available for all mobile phones! Notice I don't have the opinion of having it forced "on" as you could also be a passenger in a moving car and should have the ability to not have it forced to on. However, I will be using this feature when it is available.

iPhone getting a 'Do Not Disturb While Driving' mode

MSN.com wrote:
Have you been trying to be a safer driver and not look at your phone while behind the wheel? Apple has an update in the works to help.

When iOS 11 comes to iPhones (and iPads) this fall, the new operating system will include a "Do Not Disturb While Driving" mode users can turn on. Apple's Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi announced the new feature as part of its Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose.

Once the feature is turned on, your iPhone can tell when you may be driving and automatically mute your notifications so your screen remains dark. You can also set up your device to send your favorite contacts an automatic reply to tell them you are driving and will get back to them when you arrive.

"It's all about keeping your eyes on the road," Federighi said. "When you are driving you donโ€™t need to be responding to these kind of messages," he said as the mammoth screen at the San Jose Convention Center showed alerts for Tinder and games coming onto a phone.

Most contacts will receive a note saying, "I'll see your message when I get where I'm going," he said. But special contacts can be allowed to pass through so "you have the peace of mind that you can get contacted โ€ฆ and that message will go through," Federighi said.

"We think this is going to be a real important step in safety in the car," he said.

Texting and driving continues to be a hazard and has contributed to an increase in road fatalities. At least 46 states prohibit texting while driving โ€” and 14 states ban the use of handheld devices โ€” but public safety advocates have continued to look for more ways to decrease the practice.

A Israeli tech company Cellebrite and a New York man whose son died in a collision in which texting may have occurred is developing a "textalyzer" they hope can be used by law enforcement to see whether drivers' phones had been used recently.
I love me some land yachting
40 REPLIES 40

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
PatrickA51 wrote:
My Galaxie Sky Phone has the "Do Not Disturb" feature on it. Also, my Ram Truck has it in the U-Connect cellphone feature.

My DW and I also own a Jeep Grand Cherokee it also has UConnect 8.4 which also has the Do Not Disturb feature. I just turn the cell phone off.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they want to make it mandatory, then perhaps they could make it mandatory for the phone manufacturers to embed the app, and mandatory for the car makers to embed a seat sensor signal that only triggers the app in the driver's phone. Passengers in cars, buses, trains, and planes would not be affected.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
"Forcing people to use it means I can't use the phone as a passenger during a long boring trip. I would never purchase a phone that made this mandatory even though I would never use the phone while driving. That would be a deal killer for me."

So if you're inconvenienced it's a deal killer, now that moron texting can hit you in the passenger side car door when your driver turns left at the stop light. That might cause you to be a bit more than inconvenienced.

Having to stop at all those stop signs, pedestrian crossings, and train tracks is an inconvenience too, but traffic would be a mess without them.

I don't think that's what JohnPF is saying.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Forcing people to use it means I can't use the phone as a passenger during a long boring trip. I would never purchase a phone that made this mandatory even though I would never use the phone while driving. That would be a deal killer for me."

So if you're inconvenienced it's a deal killer, now that moron texting can hit you in the passenger side car door when your driver turns left at the stop light. That might cause you to be a bit more than inconvenienced.

Having to stop at all those stop signs, pedestrian crossings, and train tracks is an inconvenience too, but traffic would be a mess without them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JohnPF
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
Sorry, this is not at all special.

For many years I have used apps that sense when I am driving and send automated replies to anyone texting me. It sends "Auto Reply I'm driving right now - I'll get back to you later."

Before I found apps to do this, my Motorola phones had it built in. Of course one has to set it up and turn it on first!

Do you really need an app for this? Every cell phone I've ever had has had this capability. The phone rings while I'm driving, I ignore it and the call goes to voicemail telling the caller I'll get back to them later. Or they text, I ignore it and get back to them sometime later. They don't need to know why I can't get back to them.

The problem is that the person who would bother to use such a feature is going to use the phone when they shouldn't in the first place. The people who don't care about using their phone while driving aren't going to bother to use the app.

Forcing people to use it means I can't use the phone as a passenger during a long boring trip. I would never purchase a phone that made this mandatory even though I would never use the phone while driving. That would be a deal killer for me.

michaelpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Recently apple update added Driving mode in iOS 11. Do Not Disturb on Driving is a special features for Drivers (Car or Truck). In which all your call and message notifications stop, and you can auto reply to text messages.
https://www.howtoisolve.com/disable-enable-do-not-disturb-driving-mode/

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
I just wish they would come up with an app that would block robo calls to my cell. I have the full hands free setup in the MH and like others have said, I just don't respond to texts while driving.

I use Call Guard. It works great.
God Bless!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Except that's faulty logic. People who can't go without answering their phones are not going to use the app. The people who will use the app are already not using their phones while driving.

If all these people needed was a simple solution, none of them would be using their phones while driving. There are tons of options - Do Not Disturb, turn it off, handsfree devices, put it in a purse or backpack or glovebox or backseat, etc. Yet these people still choose to use their phones. A new app isn't going to change that. But it will cause parents to go out and buy their kids a new $600 phone.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
To the negative responders in this thread, I will not engage you any longer.

This thread was meant to be informational, not a battle on who is a better person.

Please see MrWizard's post as he obviously gets it.
I love me some land yachting

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Pretty evident that some find this feature appalling and that is great for you because we all know there are so many

perfect people

out there. This will make it easier for those folks who want to use it and find it useful, OK? I only posted this for those to know about it. I really don't care if you

superior types

don't find it useful.

Kind of similar to the Keurig thread where there are people complaining about others using a Keurig in their RV. What business is it of complete strangers if they don't approve of using a Keurig in an RV? Some of you really

should get a life.

Perfect people?
Superior people? WT :?

How about someone being as simple as smart?

This is a "discussion" forum.
A forum for everyone to express their "opinion".

should get a life?
If you post with the idea that everyone MUST agree with you, sadly YOU are on the wrong forum.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
My Galaxie Sky Phone has the "Do Not Disturb" feature on it. Also, my Ram Truck has it in the U-Connect cellphone feature.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here, the minimum fine for using a hand held "communication device or electronic entertainment device" behind the wheel (even when stopped at a light), is $490 if you plead guilty or $1000 if you fight and lose.

Better than any app but a few very needy or 'important' people still do it.

MrWizard
I think most of the complainers
Have forgotten this function is not aimed at those of us who do not hover over the keyboard waiting for the next text or twitter feed
Those of us who did not grow up in the age of the cell phone and instant communications with every other living being we know
Those that can not stand being out of the loop
Who do not want their friends thinking they are being ignored because they did not instantly answer
This function is for those less than 30 specificity those between the age 16 and 25
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
RedRocket204 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I don't care if folks use it, I just don't think it's a "great idea" or that it will prevent people from using their phones while driving.

We get it already and it doesn't take stating your disapproval 3 times for some of us to know you disapprove.

How about we agree to disagree? Better?

So, you're allowed to repeatedly say how great it is, but others aren't allowed to voice disagreement?

I don't disapprove, I just think it's useless to reduce the number of folks on the road using phones - people who use their phones while driving will continue to do so regardless of the number of apps that let you voluntarily prevent you from using the phone.