cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DVD vs CD drive

Rangerider
Explorer
Explorer
Friend of mine bought Win 7 and it came on a DVD. He only has a CD drive and asked me if it will work. I said I didn't think so but told him I would ask on here to see what you folks thought. Anybody have any thoughts?
Me & the Wife
2012 Thor Hurricane 32A
Future Toad: 2008 Honda CR-V
8 REPLIES 8

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
Not to be insulting, but a computer that is so old to only have a CD drive will likely not run Windows 7 very well. If the disc drive is out of date, likely so will the processor, the memory, etc.

Yeah, that is an insulting comment..

I HAVE PERSONALLY been successful at loading and running Win7 on a P4 hyperthreaded 3.2 ghz processor with as little as 2Gig of ram.. Found no speed degradation with W7 vs XP (which was originally loaded on that PC)

In fact MS specs are surprisingly light and that may be due to MS pulling out a lot of older legacy drivers which is no longer supported..

The only down side I can see is if the PC they are loading it on happens to have a unsupported sound, video, nic or system board chipset (a lot of them are NOT supported).

I would try loading it on a separate HD just in case they can not find drivers for their hardware.

To load it, they will need a DVD drive which CAN be an external USB type. Might have to set the BIOS to use the USB DVD drive as the FIRST BOOT DEVICE.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If the computer has only a CD drive, it may be too old to run Windows 7.

If the computer is a desktop, he can replace the CD drive with a DVD drive.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Rangerider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everybody for the comments and suggestions. I have passed them along. I am sure they will help.
Me & the Wife
2012 Thor Hurricane 32A
Future Toad: 2008 Honda CR-V

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Not to be insulting, but a computer that is so old to only have a CD drive will likely not run Windows 7 very well. If the disc drive is out of date, likely so will the processor, the memory, etc.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Does he have another pc with a dvd that can be shared on a network? How about sharing yours? I would not buy one with only a cd. Are you sure it is only cd?

wmbkdb
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with comment about usb dvd/cd drive... I have a sony drive that has been use on xp, vista, and now win7...

Great accessory...

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
pretty sure it will need a CD-DVD COMBO Drive installed

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

No, but you can get an external USB DVD drive fairly inexpensive to install WIN 7.