cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

extra phone

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
We wanted to get an extra cell phone to keep in our motorhome.
One reason was, we were locked out because the door latch failed. Luckily it happened in our driveway. Now, our concern is, one of us would be in the motorhome without our phone.

The other reason is, on our last trip out west, there were many dead spots. We have Consumer Cellular (works on at&t), which works great for us. We thought having a phone on a different carrier would help. One of them would work, if the other didn't. Thinking Verizon.

We just want a basic flip phone, with voice only. We're trying to keep the cost down. Verizon wanted $30 per month, plus the cost of the phone, plus activaction.

Anyone have insights.

I've read some other posts on this, but most were about voice & data plans, or a basic phone added on to an existing account. This would be one phone only.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
27 REPLIES 27

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
We just wanted a backup phone for talk, no need for data. We've been packing for a trip this week. If one of us gets stuck in the rv due to a broken latch, we can call the other one to bring a ladder. We keep forgetting to bring our phones with us when packing.

This actually happened last year. One of us got stuck inside, but luckily had a phone that time.

So now we have the tracfone always in the rv.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I pay about $23 for 60 days, or about $12/ month, no contract of course, 500 minutes, 1000 texts, and 500 MB of data. All of the unused minutes, texts, and data roll over at every renewal. At present I have 980 minutes, 1844 texts, and 1.92 GB of data. As you can see "Unlimited Talk" would just mean that I would pay more.

If you use a phone a lot then you may need to spend more, but this works great for me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I haven't paid for minutes or had a limit of minutes and/or data since 2010. I didn't even think they had plans that 'still' charged for minutes!
If you're not paying for minutes, or data, what are you paying for? Potato, potahto. You're paying to talk, call it what you will, if you don't pay, you don't talk.

And $45 per month is about 4 times what I pay and I never use it all up, so "Unlimited Talk" means just about squat. If I use less than what I pay for now, what good does "Unlimited" do?

The OP wants a backup phone, not a replacement.

:?
If $45 is 4 times more than you pay, then just what is your monthly charge with a "limited" minutes plan with a contract?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Absolutely I wouldn't own a phone with a contract. Makes no sense for me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I haven't paid for minutes or had a limit of minutes and/or data since 2010. I didn't even think they had plans that 'still' charged for minutes!
If you're not paying for minutes, or data, what are you paying for? Potato, potahto. You're paying to talk, call it what you will, if you don't pay, you don't talk.

And $45 per month is about 4 times what I pay and I never use it all up, so "Unlimited Talk" means just about squat. If I use less than what I pay for now, what good does "Unlimited" do?

I think the "NO Contract" means A lot, it would to me!
Brian

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Home shopping network runs a deal on track phone now and then, 60 to 70 dollars for a year, can't beat it.
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a spare TracFone in my truck in case I forget my regular phone when I leave home. Done that a few times. I have an Android phone that gives triple minutes. I buy the 60-minute, $20 TracFone card thatโ€™s good for 90 days; so i get 180 minutes, 180 texts, and 180 MB data, and it costs me $7/month for a fully functional cell phone. The minutes, texts, and data roll over. My TracFone is on Verizon and our regular cell phones are on AT&T. When I originally bought the phone, it was only $10. Iโ€™m happy.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Page Plus Cellular" 10 bucks for 100 minutes good for 4 months on the Verizon Network. I use one of their phones as part of my Pet Temp alarm in the motorhome but it can be used for talk or text too.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I agree that having an alternate cell service is a good idea, and we also have both Verizon and AT&T, but keep in mind the door is not the only exit from your RV. The others, such as the emergency exit window, may not be as convenient, but they are usable when needed. Our coach has a driver's door as well as the standard entry door though, so we're pretty well covered anyway.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a spare set of keys in one of those small magnetic box holders and stuck it inside my square hollow rear bumper. Opposite side of where I pack the dump hose..
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

Walmart's Straight Talk is UNLIMITED minutes. You can talk till the cows come home you never pay for minutes and no contract.

Unlimited talk and text, unlimited data up to what cards states in GB $45/mo. Add 10 bucks to $55/mo and that gets you ultimate unlimited.
Ultimate Unlimited
30 Days
No Contract
Unlimited Nationwide Talk and Text
Unlimited Data
Video typically streams at DVD quality

Unless you are a gamer what each card offers in GB is more than what you need. I have never even came close to using more. And I've been using my phone as a computer daily.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
The info about the red and blue map is so helpful. The sales associates did not know that. Mine is red, so this tracfone will work on Verizon. My consumer cellular works on att, so I'm covered.

I did read about the rollover minutes if I keep the phone active. I'll just be sure to add more minutes in 3 months.

When I activated my phone online, there was a spot for an optional promo code. So I looked online & found a code & got 60 free minutes.

Thanks for all this great info.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a slight aside: the minutes won't expire if you keep the account active. If you don't load minutes before the time limit expires then the minutes will also expire.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"