cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

File Zilla wrning

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
This morning I got an update message purported to be from FileZilla. After I clicked on the update now button, the Norton Internet Security flashed a warning and stopped the update. Seems a bunch of junk including a "SpeedDial" was installed. I've Uninstalled it including several other suspicious programs.

Also ran the Norton "complete scan". There were about 8 "Downloader.." files that were deleted. But I can't get rid of the D**ned SpeedDial screen that pops up when I open a tab on the newest FireFox.

It also appears that the FileZilla.org site has been compromised. Sure would like to bad things to these bad hackers. It's bad enough having to clean up my Thunderbird inbox of all the junk mail. They are sucking down my monthly data allowance with Verizon.

GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE....
9 REPLIES 9

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
ventrman wrote:
Run Walware Bytes. It may help.

I'm sure you meant: Malwarebytes

Thanks. I went back and corrected my Post.
God Bless!

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
1492. Ah, ha, thanks for showing the screens from FileZilla. It looks like I didn't read the line about the "Optimizer" and clicked on "Accept." Hitting forehead with palm of the hand :S. Darn it, gotta be more diligent about reading the whole "window."

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Did you click on the "Update Now" button in the e-mail? If you did then File-Zilla has done nothing wrong, you did. You should know better than to click on a link in an e-mail. Tsk, tsk.

No, it wasn't in an e-mail. It popped up when I had FileZilla in an active window and before I had uploaded a updated web page. I've received several of these before from FileZilla and done the updates OK. I've managed to get everything cleaned up.

It doesn't appear that the Filezilla site on Sourceforge is compromised? They're using a download installer to optionally include adaware unless you click the "Decline" button. Do not click Accept.

Once you get past the adaware, you click "Next" to install the program.

Use these instructions to remove Speedial. Steps 1 & 2 should be enough to get rid it.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you click on the "Update Now" button in the e-mail? If you did then File-Zilla has done nothing wrong, you did. You should know better than to click on a link in an e-mail. Tsk, tsk.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Well, finally (so far) have cleaned things up. Reset FireFox. Now just to wait for FileZilla to clean their end up. At least I did get a clean copy of the latest version from the DL site. Hopefully I can remain diligent to avoid this in the future. Just goes to show that the scum remain out there.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
ventrman wrote:
Run Walware Bytes. It may help.

I'm sure you meant: Malwarebytes
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Run Malwarebytes. It may help.
God Bless!

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
It probably is not from Filezilla at all. Never click on something like that in an Email. Go directly to their Website and check for Updates. This is a common Scam.
God Bless!