cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

get satellite signal in

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used the cable in coach for their satellite coax, by bypassing the booster? Is there some sort of switch that would allow cable use or satellite ? Thanks
This business of running the satellite coax out the window, not the best.
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)
9 REPLIES 9

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
There are several ways to do it. In past years Winegard recommended the diagram below.

Making the connections the way Winegard recommends does not require adding any coax connectors to the wall plate.

Note that this assumes your front TV is connected to the coax connector on the front of the wall plate. If yours isn't, there should be a splitter in the line labeled "To second TV" that will send the signal to both the front and rear TVs (if you have two TVs).

What Winegard calls a "power supply" below is the wall plate with the antenna booster switch and LED showing when the amplifier is on.

If you still want to be able to use the external cable in for both cable TV and the external dish just add an A/B switch to switch the incoming coax from the sat receiver "sat input" to the sat receiver "TV input".

If your receiver doesn't have a coax output (and most new ones don't) and you still want to use the batwing antenna you will need to use an A/B switch to switch the signal between the receiver and the antenna out connection on the wall plate.

One thing not shown in the diagram is using the RCA type connections or the better quality "component" type output or the HDMI (best) output between the sat receiver and the TV.
That will yield a much better picture with no interference from any local channels. You have to select a "video in" with your TV menu instead of using channel 3 (for example).
Some newer satellite receivers don't have a coax output so you may have to use HDMI or component connections.

If you have a video distribution box that will have to be taken into account.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Has anyone used the CABLE in cable for Sat TV: YES. many

IS there as switch or something: YES

OK, how do we do it? (I suspect that is your real question)

Two answers: First the "official" answer

Somewhere in your RV is, most likely, a wall plate (I will describe the box of many buttons at the end) it has a SWITCH, a LIGHT an antenna connector (F-Connector) and a 12 volt accessory outlet (Very low current, might charge a cell phone or run a LED map light).

Remove it from the wall. ON the back will be two wires for 12 volt (Do not disturb) and 3 coax cables.. Disturb the one in the middle, in fact disconnect it.. then using a double female (Barrel) connector extend it out to your Sat Receiver.

IF the sat receiver has COAX OUT.. Connect that back to the center port on the back of the switch.

Job done.

My recommendations.

Forget that low cost RG-59 Cable completely leave it just as it is and run brand new RG-6, you can get the bulkhead (Through wall) connectors at any RV place or you can run to a ground block (Any RV or Electronics place including the proper isle at Lowe's et-al) in a basement compartment.

Mine is on the Brake Bell Crank Bracket under the hood.

Box of many buttons: One of the cables on the back is marked "CABLE", Instructions are the same as with the wall plate but you disconnect THIS cable instead of the "Center" one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just run a new coax to a barrel connector in the nearest storage locker.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
In most cases you can use the "Cable" connection for either satellite or Cable but it will require some wiring modifications. As mentioned above, some RV's are wired with splitters from the outside cable connection to the various TV's and if this the case case then you simply cannot use that connection. There are many ways to wire in a new coax with a direct connection if splitters are a problem for your setup.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There are a lot of different wiring configurations in RVs. Mine originally had a single coax input setup for cable. No dedicated sat input. But that coax came into a dual coax wall plate near the TV. And there was a short coax jumper cable between the two connectors on the wall plate. I could leave the jumper on if I connected to cable. Or remove the jumper and connect a short coax cable from the wall plate to my sat box for satellite. That worked fine.

But I tired of messing with the jumper and added a new external coax connector connected to a new inside wall plate dedicated to satellite.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this is what you are trying to do but take a look
clicky
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You can install a pigtail connection in the booster box to make the connection a continuous one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
The booster is for over the air TV stations. If the cable in is hook up to your TV you should be able to use it for your satellite.
Good Luck

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
That would work as long as the coax run from the outside connection to the receiver did not contain any splitters. You could use a high quality A/B switch for changing between cable and satellite.