cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good GPS APP that works without cell service

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, as a part of my job I have to plan for emergencies and contingencies to help the first responders locate where they are if the big storm ever hits.

During my search I located an APP that will only use GPS satellites if the cell system is down. There are numerous apps that will pick up the GPS signals but depend on the cell system for the maps.

CoPilot GPS APP that allows you to download the maps to your phone so you don't need the cell system. FYI you can download the whole country or just regions. I recommend downloading only your region due to the size of the file.

The best part it is free and available for android, I-Phone, and windows.

Check it out.

Thanks,
Terry
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW
6 REPLIES 6

RetSgt7114
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I'm not sure what you are looking to accomplish so I may be off here, but doesn't a stand alone GPS solve any cellular issues? I am not a fan of Co-Pilot live for routing and would not use it to get my vehicle from point A to point B when I could have something like a Garmin.

I agree I have seen and used quite a few gps apps including Navigon and Co Pilot. These apps do work and will get you from point A to point B however I have yet to find an app to work as well as a stand alone GPS.

In the end the only reason to use a app vs. a dedicated unit is to save a few $$$ which is understandable. However for reliability and effectiveness I prefer a dedicated unit.

X2. I've tried using many of the mentioned apps on both android and iPhones, but found them to be too cumbersome and I didn't like it at all. I much prefer the stand alone dedicated gps units so I can view a much larger screen and also use the gps to view my rear view camera. Having my iPhone free for calls or other apps, works much more effectively for me. I agree that for reliability and effectiveness, the dedicated unit is the way to go, but to each his own.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gulfstream Yellowstone
USAF Veteran
US Army Veteran
Retired LEO 34 years

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I'm not sure what you are looking to accomplish so I may be off here, but doesn't a stand alone GPS solve any cellular issues? I am not a fan of Co-Pilot live for routing and would not use it to get my vehicle from point A to point B when I could have something like a Garmin.

I agree I have seen and used quite a few gps apps including Navigon and Co Pilot. These apps do work and will get you from point A to point B however I have yet to find an app to work as well as a stand alone GPS.

In the end the only reason to use a app vs. a dedicated unit is to save a few $$$ which is understandable. However for reliability and effectiveness I prefer a dedicated unit.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI that these apps do NOT work on devices that are not equipped for broadband (ie-wifi only), because the GPS chipset is part of the WiFi chipset.

That said I have many different GPS apps on my 128g iPad, and by far the best of the bunch is NAVIGON. It was developed and came from people that build stand-alone GPS devices, and it's every bit as good.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Street Atlas USA from DeLorme works with a USB GPS receiver and runs in your laptop.

Similar thread.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps now allows offline mode. You just have to pick the route or area you want it to download. Then it works without cell service in that area.

Otherwise I use a GPS product by Sygic (in the app store) for one of my tablets.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad