cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Google to close first smartphone assembly plant in the U.S.

Just one year after it opened the first smartphone assembly factory in the U.S., for its Motorola Mobility brand acquired back in 2011. However, it was fairly clear that Google wanted the patents, and not necessarily to be in the manufacturing biz. Google paid $12B for Motorola, and just sold it recently to Lenovo for $2.91B sans patents of course.

Article at Motorola to Close Texas Smartphone Factory.
6 REPLIES 6

MrWizard
Lenovo will buy the Motorola brand if the sale goes thru
Not the mfg facility
The building and land are very likely a lease
Even the mfg equipment might be a lease, If they own the equipment it is hardware capital, investment money to be recouped in a sale
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
If Lenovo owns this plant why does your subject line say Google?
They really have no say anymore about this venture.

Google has NOT completed the sale. If you read the article in the link noted, it quotes "Motorola," and "Google" as making the announcement and the decision to close.

Lenovo is only mentioned as a buyer, but the sales has not been approved yet. Therefore, they do not own the plant yet.

More than likely, the plant will be long closed before the sale is complete, and I am sure that Lenovo is aware of said plan.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

sch911 wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:
Good point SCH911.. But to many folks Google is "The great evil" where as Lenovo is... Well, I'm not just sure what they are.. Other than the manufacturer of the THINKPAD line of laptops. Formerly called IBM Thinkpads.

At least he got it right in the body of the message.... and I might add, what he posted is a fine example of modern reporting.. Do not proof read, Do not check facts,, Call a sledge hammer a shovel type reporting.

Quote:

"...Google said it planned to sell the Motorola Mobility smartphone business to Hong Kong-based computer maker Lenovo for $2.9 billion. The sale is expected to close by the end of the year, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission."

"...Lenovo's acquisition of Motorola Mobility and the closing of the factory were not related."

Or, more accurately, an example of not reading the article or doing a "Google" search on the subject before commenting? :S

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, out come the knives...

The Lenovo deal hasn't closed yet so saying Google is still accurate. The cited article clearly says this.

But with a deal pending I can't imagine that Lenovo didn't sign off on this move as well.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good point SCH911.. But to many folks Google is "The great evil" where as Lenovo is... Well, I'm not just sure what they are.. Other than the manufacturer of the THINKPAD line of laptops. Formerly called IBM Thinkpads.

At least he got it right in the body of the message.... and I might add, what he posted is a fine example of modern reporting.. Do not proof read, Do not check facts,, Call a sledge hammer a shovel type reporting.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad