cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
My GPS is 21 yrs old and never been updated. I am going to be buying a new one. What do you all suggest? I use it mostly when we go camping. Thank you
samsontdog:o:W
18 REPLIES 18

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
pconroy328 wrote:
There have been a lot of improvements in 21 years! I take it you have Google Maps on your phone but you want a unit that does NOT need an internet connection to work?

Will you use it while driving? Or hiking?

We see this all the time. Google Maps does not need a cellular signal to work. It does need a connection to setup the trip or somewhere along the early part of the trip but it downloads the upcoming instructions so going without a cellular connection for periods of time will not effect its performance.
All you need is Google Maps and/or WAZE (both free!) and you will have the best highway information at your fingertips. As an example, the other day, heading S. on I-85, the highway was closed due to a deadly accident. Google Maps routed us around it while your stand alone GPS would have taken you directly into that stand still traffic.

x2
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
There have been a lot of improvements in 21 years! I take it you have Google Maps on your phone but you want a unit that does NOT need an internet connection to work?

We see this all the time. Google Maps does not need a cellular signal to work. It does need a connection to setup the trip or somewhere along the early part of the trip but it downloads the upcoming instructions so going without a cellular connection for periods of time will not effect its performance.
All you need is Google Maps and/or WAZE (both free!) and you will have the best highway information at your fingertips. As an example, the other day, heading S. on I-85, the highway was closed due to a deadly accident. Google Maps routed us around it while your stand alone GPS would have taken you directly into that stand still traffic.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I have the new Garmin 785 RV GPS. It has a camera in it and will alarm if I depart too far from my lane. It does a good job for me in my little motorhome. It also has a 7" screen which I like. I bought it from Techno RV and at the time they had a comparison chart of several different models which I found useful.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer