Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me with Dish

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
OTA channels on Dish in our fiver.

After reading archive topics on obtaining OTA channels with our PathwayX2.....we are confused as to what to do. We would rather not call Dish each time we move location. I read that there is the OTA tuner and OTA adapter available locally.

So...what is needed? OTA tuner or OTA adapter or both? Then what?

Any details on how to put this together is much appreciated. Sorry for being short on the side of technical stuff.

Thanks All!
12 REPLIES 12

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
... and just a follow up on the "Chat" link...

"Account Summary"

Bottom will have the option for a "Chat With A Representative"
then "Customer Support"

Fill in the boxes, you should have a 4-digit security code somewhere.

and then I just keep the Chat box simple.

"Howdy, I just need to change my "Service Address" ONLY, to

Address: 2600 Bristlecone Ave, Ely, NV 89301

I know you're busy, thanks."

They'll wander off for about a minute and then come back.
Done...

Stations will change in apx 10-20 min to the locals in that area.

FYI:
- you don't need to "Live there" I use the local USPS Postal Address as most cities, villages have one. I just go online, look up the USPS in xxxxcity and then copy paste the address in the chat box.

- If traveling, you might check with them what "center/Beam" they assigned you to as you want to be heading towards that if possible.
Not a big deal, just go back and change the service address when you get the "Blue Screen of Death" for locals, "We are experiencing a problem, we are aware of it... blah, blah, blah.."
Usually just means you're out the the local area and need to change the service address again.

- You might want to choose the USPS address for larger city as some smaller towns might not have them all. I say this as I like the PBS station, Newshour, and just found one little town didn't have, in this case, Hawthorne,NV. I had to use Reno, NV and then Salt Lake City, UT as I was traveling Eastward, so just be aware of that little quirk..

Hope that helps..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thread is confusing. Are you talking over the air channels or local channels on satellite.

OTA is simply whatever channels are within range to be received with an antenna. There are multiple methods to get those to the TV or pass them through a dish receiver. Some LNBs on the dish itself have an OTA input but you will not find it on the tailgaters and similar auto aiming dishes. You would need to have a 1000.2 or 1000.4 standard residential dish.

Local channels are provided by Dish in "spot beams", essentially an oval geographical area on the face of the earth, look up spot beam maps. Once you travel outside the spot beam that encompasses say Buffalo NY, changing the service address will not get you the locals for Buffalo. If you are in the spot beam for say Atlanta, and change your address to Atlanta you'll get the locals on the Atlanta beam, not Buffalo NY which is impossible as the Buffalo channels are not transmitted on the transponder for the Atlanta spot beam.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides using chat here is another thing I do. When I land in AZ for the winter. I change my service address to an Mesa area RV park. You actually don't have to be staying there. Just use the site number like you would an apartment number. Then add a letter to the site number such as 7D. I leave that as my service address as I move from place to place during the winter in AZ. The Phoenix locals work in Tucson, Yuma and Wickenburg via my dish. I use the OTA antenna for area locals if needed.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
janstey58 wrote:
Can someone please post the Dish Chat URL?

Go to www.mydish.com and log into your DISH account.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
You don't have to call Dish when you move. Use the chat feature. I have a saved word file that I cut and paste into the chat window. I just have to fill in the new service address.

Yep, Samo-Samo....
I just get the USPS address, copy past into the chat and tell them to change the "Service Address" ONLY...not billing. They will change it otherwise and even after telling them by check a box. You can double check after the chat in your dISH profile.

Chat, once they respond, usually within a minute, it takes about 2 min to make the change, done.....

Stations will change over in about 1-20 min along with program guide..

Chat's the easiest way...

Hope that helps.. they also pick up the locals too.

Happy Trails..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are correct. The 211z receiver requires you to purchase a TV dongle which used to be included on the previous receivers. It's a simple plug and play.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
I see they are getting hard to find
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone please post the Dish Chat URL? The one I have always says unavailable??

BTW, we watch our local channels in HD on the 129 Dish satellite, no need to use OTA unless we cant get the Dish signal due to trees. Thx, Jeff
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't have to call Dish when you move. Use the chat feature. I have a saved word file that I cut and paste into the chat window. I just have to fill in the new service address.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

llr
Explorer
Explorer
the OTA tuner just connects to a regular antenna and integrates that with the satellite channels.

they also have some of the local channels sent over the satellite.

I had the OTA tuner at home mainly to gain the extra tuner for the DVR. personally I would just use the TVs built in tuner for the local channels in a camper.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The 211k has the tuner, the 211z you can buy it and plug it in. You hook up the antenna and search for stations and it puts them in the guide with the ones from dish. Then you don't have to use the TV tuner and you can record OTA if you have had that option added.

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add that fiver is using the VIP211z receiver.