cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to capture image info when it's mouse over

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
When I needed a pix to refer to in a post I'd go on line and simply copy the image info.

Now all the websites have switched all their images to mouse over and you can't copy the image link to the pix.

Is there a way to capture these darn things?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

19 REPLIES 19

If you're using a photo or graphic from another website for discussion purposes, then copyright in most cases is not the issue when protected under fair use doctrine. Though appropriate to properly credit the author. However, fair use does not cover against stealing server bandwidth without permission. Which is what happens when one embeds the photo from the owner's website. Use a separate photo hosting instead.

To answer the original question, some websites use Javascript to disable right-click in order to block copying URL. A weak solution, as disabling Javascript defeats the ability to do so. However, all major browsers have developer mode, usually the F12 key, which would allow you to determine the URL of the photo. Firefox also has right click on the page to View Page Info. In the Media tab, you can find the photo URL or download in most cases.

msalyer
Explorer
Explorer
right click on the image. click properties. in the box that opens up cut and paste the address (URL).

raceman6135
Explorer
Explorer
If you're using Firefox, right-click on the image. Click "View Page Info." This will open a new window. Then click the "Media" tab at the top of the new window that has opened. Click through each of the "Address" entries in the list. When you see the image you want to save, click the "Save As" button to save the image to your computer.

This method works well when the page uses Javascript for the 'onmouse over/onmouse out' functions and the .jpg link is not apparent in the 'view source' info.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Right click on the page and choose view source. You should be able to find the image link there - if you have a working knowledge of HTML.

I have also used the print screen/ Paint method, and the snip tool.

If you Google and select images, you can view an image and get it's link.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:
The snipping tool doesn't always work for mouse-over items - since you have to move the cursor from the mouse over area in order to use the snipping tool.
Exactly. Just use PrtSc and Paste.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use Print key 2000 and it works on win 7 and win xp but I don't know if it works on win 8 or 10. I think it probably does. All you have to do is dbl click on the print key icon and it takes a picture of the screen. You then can pick what you want to save using the menu at the top. Probably the same as other programs but just wanted to mention its existence.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
drcook wrote:
Also for images that require "mouse over" to enlarge, it simply doesn't capture the entire image to simply hit "prnt scrn".
That is why I said to mouse over it. Otherwise, how do you get the image to enlarge to capture it ?
I'm not at all familiar with 'mouse over' to enlarge. Where do you find these?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

drcook
Explorer
Explorer
Also for images that require "mouse over" to enlarge, it simply doesn't capture the entire image to simply hit "prnt scrn".

That is why I said to mouse over it. Otherwise, how do you get the image to enlarge to capture it ?
2004.5 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison - was an Overheater fixed it!!! Bilsteins, Banks stuff, Hellwig Sway bars front and back
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX

2 Doberman/Rhodesian Ridgeback Crosses - brothers
2 Beagles
1 Shih Poo
1 Shih Tzu
1 Camping Cat
1 wife

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
The snipping tool doesn't always work for mouse-over items - since you have to move the cursor from the mouse over area in order to use the snipping tool.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom_M wrote:
The Snipping Tool is part of Windows. In Win 7 go to Start > All Programs > Accessories. Or type "Snipping Tool" in the search box.
Well I'll be! Thanks.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
I use a free program "Snipping Tool" that lets me pick any area on the screen and save it (GIF for sure, don't know about other formats).

There are several free capture programs that will do this. I'm using one called Snap My Screen which gives the option of grabbing a screen, a window or a selection. It works fine, but I'm not sure if it's any better than any of the others - it's just the first one I came across when I needed one.
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
The Snipping Tool is part of Windows. In Win 7 go to Start > All Programs > Accessories. Or type "Snipping Tool" in the search box.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometimes if you just double click on image it will open window with image
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
I use a free program "Snipping Tool" that lets me pick any area on the screen and save it (GIF for sure, don't know about other formats).

I use this, too. It works great - easier than Print Screen and then editing. You can select only what you intend to snip.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)