cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In-dash Navigation / Radio Options in a Class C

Ramblin__Rosie
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2007 Winnebago Outlook 31C, with the Chevy 6.0L chassis. The rig has pretty much all the options we are looking for. However, I would like to upgrade the in-dash radio. I'm considering a Doube DIN sized unit than with GPS. Although I've installed radios and other electronic accessories in passenger vehicles, I'm not exactly ready to dive into this project head first. My main question is placement of antennas for the GPS and satellite radio. Obviously, these would ideally go onto the roof. However, I don't envy the prospect of running cables up there, or drilling one or more holes in the fiberglass roof. How well will these components work if the antenna were mounted at the corner of the windshield and dashboard? What about mounting the antennas on the front fenders or hood? If a roof insulation for the antannae is clearly the best option, does anybody have any tips of how to mount them and run the cables?
Cartersville, Georgia
2007 Winnebago Outlook 31C Class C
(Chevy 6.0L 6000 Vortec Chassis)
4 REPLIES 4

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Garmin sitting on my dash, but more and more I just use my phone. There are pros and cons to either solution.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For many years I've used a Garmin on the dash never had a GPS reception problem. and that includes CA, OR, WA and other westerns states with numerous dense trees.

The Kenwood Radio/GPS in my MH with it's roof top antenna is CLEARLY Garmin based. And it's information is CLEARLY the same as my Garmin word for word with it's roof antenna not any better than the dash Garmin regardless of direction headed or trees etc.

Dash Pro:
It's always there, just turn on the ignition
Doesn't get left in the car or elsewhere
I'm thinking about other pros

Dash Cons:
You have to turn on the ignition to view or update
Can't move it to a car as desired
Can't bring it inside the MH or house for:
Adding points of interest
Viewing a route
Updates are generally easy, just pay the dealer
You can't leave it at home
The battery provides hours of operation anywhere, err many hours but then you have to have the ignition on

I can download and update my portable Garmin maps, etc (yes very LARGE files). Did I say I can do this vs the dealer?

Our recent Grand Cherokee has a built in GPS, wish I could transfer my many years of destinations to it and the MH. Maybe it's somehow possible but I'm not planning on those adventures...

Of course a DIY install could change some of the above.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the complete wiring book for your unit. Look thorough it and you may find some channels that already exist but not being used where you can fish a wire through it.

WF331C - 2007 -

There appears to be a some sort of satellite radio antenna hookup. Often the wires are installed from the roof to the radio (especially of OnStar equip), just the antenna and connectors are missing,
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not well at all. Sat radio for sure needs a clear view of the southern sky. Here in the PNW when I get into the mountains trees block my signal. GPS is a bit better as it looks at several satelites at a time. Downside of built in GPS is your forced to buy updates via DVD/CD whereas if you use a portable like a Garmin updates are free.