cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet Total Usage

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to switch from my slow but unlimited DSL connection.All the cable services have a GB per month cap.

How can I test my total internet useage? I put the Networx program on my main computer but what about all my other usage? I have a wireless modem for laptops and that also has LAN cables going to the TV for Netflix and a LAN for a Verizon phone extender.

Thanx
21 REPLIES 21

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Passport2250RB wrote:
If using a router many have utilities to track usage.
Unfortunately mine does not. It is a generic from the phone co. with their branding.

Passport2250RB
Explorer
Explorer
If using a router many have utilities to track usage.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I do have NetWorx on my computer from the same search I did. What I can't monitor is what is used thru my LAN cable to the Dish DVR for Netflix and On Demand shows.Which has to be far more than used on the computer.

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
az99,

Search the internet for: measure OR monitor OR track internet usage
search example

Lots of reading to hopefully help you.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
I have chosen slow internet over the horrific customer service of the cable companies.
When do you need cs from a cable company?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Have never seen a cable system with a GB per month cap before, at lease where we live. You sure it's not a bandwidth cap like 15/30/50 MB/Sec.?

10M Internet

Download: Up to 10 Mbps
Upload: Up to 2 Mbps

Total Monthly Data Plan:
300 GB/Month
there is no way you are going to hit 300gb/mo unless you stream 2 or 3 movies every night for the month, or have offline backup and are restoring a dead drive.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you want to switch providers? Have you factored in customer service?

Personally, I have chosen slow internet over the horrific customer service of the cable companies. At my S&B anyway. But I am still debating the choice for on the road. Verizon isn't QUITE as bad as the cable companies.... right? I hope??
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
My ISP can't tell me and they have nothing a customer can access.
Well, that's not a good thing.

I doubt you could even begin to approach 300g with a slow DSL connection.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
az99 wrote:
How can I test my total internet useage?
I don't know what you mean by 'test'. Sounds like you mean measure.
Measure,check.:) How can I do it? How do I know if I use 300GB/month or more. My ISP can't tell me and they have nothing a customer can access.

If ISP can't tell you, then you likely aren't on a limit. Everytime I've been on a limit, I could easily login to check.

And, edit my prior post, I'm on Cox Cable now, not Comcast (last house). I also intended to post earlier that providers keep raising the limit - a good thing - as technology improves. Well, I just logged in to Cox to check my usage and I've been bumped from 400GB to 2,000 GB month. I don't think I could hit that if I tried although it will help since I want to upload 500 GB of photos to an online backup service.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

az99
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
az99 wrote:
Measure,check.:) How can I do it? How do I know if I use 300GB/month or more. My ISP can't tell me and they have nothing a customer can access.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
I can successfully use netflix at a download speed of 0.26 megabytes per second. Upload speed is about 0.17 megs per second.
Just for people who might get confused by apples and oranges comparison, pianotuna is talking BYTES per second - most speed ratings are given in BITS per second. There's roughly a 10:1 ratio depending on how your ISP defines things (yes, I know there are 8 bits in a byte).

Also, since we're now down in the weeds, many ISPs will incorrectly define MEGA (as in Mbps) as 1,000,000 as opposed to 2^20 because it gives a slightly higher (~5%) speed number.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I live in the country so I feel quite lucky to have DsL 6mbps down and 600kbps up.

That's (just) fast enough to watch Netflix in HD but NOT fast enough to watch VoD in HD from my satellite provider.

I used 85gigs last month. I have no usage cap.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Speeds vary based on usage by neighbors on the same node but I have still have better succes with cable over DSL. DSL top data rates can be too slow for HD streaming. The upload speed is also to slow to allow Sling TV.

I have Comcast and a 400GB monthly limit. Their limit ranges from 200 to 400 GB depending on your tier. At 400 GB, I don't have to worry. If I was at 200GB I would with high Netflix usage. I learned that if I use Spotify on my computer it can drive usage up becuase even if I listen to a 10 second clip when building a playlist, the Spotify app downloads the entire song into the cache.

I can check my usage on Comcast website and there isn't a fee for going over, they just send you an email if you bust the limit a couple months in a row. If you are at a lower tier, they probably try to get you to upgrade. I'm at the highest tier so I don't know what they would do. I've never hit the limit.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)