cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

IPhone 5 Roaming Settings

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I need to know how I should change my iPhone5 settings when I'm in a roaming area. All I want to do is use my iPhone for free wifi and take pictures. I definitely don't want to be charged roaming fees. Thanks
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
7 REPLIES 7

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
This is curious. I have att. I thought roaming was dead and gone. Other than intl travel of course.
AT&T still uses roaming in parts of the US for data.

If you travel in the southwest US using an AT&T iPhone unlimited data plan, you will likely get this message: "Offnet Data Usage Data Alert: You have used ___MB of data roaming this month, "X" times the amount in Terms & Conditions..." Their data roaming limit is 25MB per month.

I received this message while traveling in New Mexico - this was far enough north that it was US, not Mexican towers. They changed the AT&T header on my phone to indicate when I was "Off Network", and it was interesting to see how much of the US is still "Off Network".

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
You could also go into Airplane mode, wifi on. Some friends were too close to Canada that all incurred roaming charges.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I see what you mean. Good point. Or Mexico.

jorn
Explorer
Explorer
Right.

Happytraveler, it'd be highly improbable that you'd have any plan with ATT that wasn't considered a nation-wide plan. In other words, no matter where you are in the United States, usage charges are the same. (You have the same voice minutes; the same monthly data cap; the same text allotment.)

Killing the data-roaming, as Smax wisely suggests, is still not a bad idea just in case you venture too close to, say, Canada and unknowingly start slurping data of Canadian towers.
'16 Chaparral 360IBL & '16 Ram 2500 Cummins

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
EXACTLY

pyoung47 wrote:
This is curious. I have att. I thought roaming was dead and gone. Other than intl travel of course.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer

Smax
Explorer
Explorer
settings - general - cellular - data roaming - off
2010 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew
2000 25' Sunnybrook
2010 Honda SH150