cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is Artificial Intelligence swooping down on us?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I've always been one of those who believed in the conspiracy theories: Yes, Elvis is still alive, JFK is living on an island in the Bahamas, Elvis Presley is really alive and well in Argentina!

So, I've been extremely skeptical of all this modern technology happening all around us, you know, "Serie?" "OK Google, I have a question? Do "Smart Televisions" really record the conversations occurring in your own home? If you have a Smart Refrigerator, is it recording everything in your kitchen?

Well, you all decide, but a very strange thing just happened to me.

OK, RV.net has been slow over the last several weeks, and I've been drawn into watching YouTube videos. I'm logged into my own account, and I've noticed how YouTube makes suggestions for new videos that you (or me) might find interesting, yes ... based upon your past viewing experiences.

But these two really take the cake!

My daughter and family recently moved to Hawaii. So, my wife started watching all these different shows on Netflix about Hawaii. She has her own account.

A couple days ago, I made a comment to a post where I used the word "T@B" tear drop travel trailers.

So, you know what? I'm now getting flooded with YouTube suggestions for videos on "T@B" tear drop travel trailers and videos about Hawaii.

Go figure?

And the future push is sell "Smart" RV's that are operated fully from a Smart Phone? Oh my!
66 REPLIES 66

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Two days ago we were stirring around discussing Xmas shopping. Someone briefly mentioned a Swedish clothing store (which none of us have ever visited) here in Seattle. Later when my son used his iPhone, up popped a bunch of ads for the same store. Don't tell me Siri isn't listening.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Its just like it was with CB radios in their time. Don't say anything you don't want spread all over everywhere. Because when you post something, it is open for all the world to see.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ads and site suggestions you receive are based on previous interests. This information is included as cookies that are part of your browsing history.
Really has nothing to do with AI
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've had those moments too, where someone mentions a particular product in a conversation, and suddenly I'm seeing ads for it.

What's more annoying, is looking up a product to help someone else with guidance, then being bombarded with ads for it for ever. Or even worse, is buying a product, then being bombarded with ads for it from the same company you just purchased it from (I'm talking to you, Amazon!).
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Technology has made travelling so much easier and fun. I like it all, and am not a fan of conspiracy theories.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
It may be Artificial or not, but still its a lot more than a lot of people have naturally. Without "intelligent" devices, Lots of the newer generation can not function at all. Just take away their "smartphone" and watch!!!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Oldmaple
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about "artificial" intelligence but they are watching us. My new phone has all my wife's contact list on it (not by my doing). Obviously your wife's and your accounts are linked somehow (possibly through an email address?). My wife started getting ads about something that she had only talked about. Scary. It's all about the money. Was watching a luxury yacht show on TV and one of the yachts could be operated from an open air pilot station, one deck below from an enclosed pilot station or from an APP ON YOUR PHONE! Ridiculous.