cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just ordered a Go Pro!!!

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just ordered a Go Pro to record some the family adventures this year. I went with the Hero 4 Silver, 2 extra batteries, 32GB SD card, and an accessory package with various mounts. This will be our first full season of camping and would like to capture some of the memories...especially for the kids to look back at. I'd also like to document some things we've done to our trailer as we only have photos (I kind of regret not making this purchase during our overhaul last year).

I used the original Go Pro mounted to a motorcycle & mountain bike, but I haven't used any of the newer models. Does anyone here use a Go Pro? Any tips for capturing interesting perspectives? There are a lot of mounts out there now...I'm especially not sure what to thing about the "selfie stick";) Some things I can see us recording are camping trips, beach/boat/waverunner, tractor/front end loader, ATV, shooting/archery, and other family outings.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
34 REPLIES 34

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
My husband is a forest firefighter and he wants one for when he's fighting fires. I just ordered the Hero3 White with some accessories from Amazon. I'm eventually going to get the dog harness too. Agnes
Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

NiasWagn
Explorer
Explorer
I got an e-mail the other day that Movavi was on sale for 50% off which makes it about $25 or $30. Just get on their list and they'll eventually discount it for you. I does good for video editing imho...the screen capture is nice too.
2012 F-150 EB 3.73
2014 Forest River 25RR
2004 GL1800
2014 Texas Healer with wet nose named Molly

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ended up going with Adobe Premier Pro CC. It's $20/month, but I'd rather the payment than puting out big $$$ for one of the pro level programs up front. I tried a few of the free apps and didn't want to invest a lot of time learning something I wouldn't want to use long term. In the end I've spent more on dumber things.

I did get to video my 9 year old daughter interviewing a State Rep yesterday for a school project. Now we get to edit the 25 minutes of video down to 3-5 minutes.

NiasWagn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently using MOVAVI Video Suite and Editor to edit my videos. They are always having special offers on it if you get on their mailing list. It works pretty good. Last week I discovered some footage I had filed away because my XTC was off several degrees on my helmet. The whole world was tilted. I was able to tilt it back and recrop it so I was happy.

Some day I'll get me a go-pro but my trusty XTC with it's water proof housing has done a very fine job.
2012 F-150 EB 3.73
2014 Forest River 25RR
2004 GL1800
2014 Texas Healer with wet nose named Molly

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
What are you using to edit video? I've been playing with the GoPro Studio software, but it doesn't import video from my iPhone or other camera. I was thinking about trying Adobe Premier.
You need to convert the iPhone or camera video to MP4 (MPEG-4). You can use software such as Handbrake or VidCoder to do this. Both are free and can be downloaded here:
Handbrake
VidCoder

In the output settings select MP4 for container and H.264 for codec.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

colochoclab
Explorer
Explorer
My son brings his GoPro whenever we camp! It's been attached to cars, trucks, motorcycles, jetskis, boats and even to the dog a couple of times! Great fun!
2008 Nissan Titan LE Crew 4x4
'06 Jayco JayFlight 29FBS
'11 Bayliner 180ob
'99 Seadoo GTS
Member titantalk, seadooforum, benzworld.org

My Chocolate Labs "Snickers", "Reese" and "Hershey"(Passed)

"I asked God for a true friend: He sent me a Labrador Retriever."

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
25 years ago I bought a Sony TR-81 to take mostly underwater videos. The camera was $1800 plus the $1000 underwater housing. It worked great until my backpack opened up and it fell into a stream. The GoPros are much cheaper and that was going to be my next purchase until I went to Hawaii this last winter. Many had the Go Pros on sticks when snorkeling and some used the the I Phones with cheap under water housings. I bought one and have only tested it in the pool so for. But this seems the way to go for the average recreational diver or free diver. The camera never gets outdated and is generally upgraded every 2 years with a contract and is free.

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:

I've spent a few hundred on mounts, batteries, etc. and I've had the camera less than a week. I have my eyes on a few more mounts, but I think this new hobby will just nickel and dime me from here on out.

What are you using to edit video? I've been playing with the GoPro Studio software, but it doesn't import video from my iPhone or other camera. I was thinking about trying Adobe Premier.

I use Sony Vegas Pro (yes that it is the correct name!) Both it and Premier have a bit of a learning curve but I found Vegas Pro more suitable to my needs.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
BC_Explorer wrote:
I have a GP Hero3+ and use it a lot. To make the best out of what the GP can do, be prepared to budget for numerous mounts, accessories, extra batteries, SD cards, housings, filters etc. In the last year, I have spent about $300.00 on such extras and do not regret it. If you want to make great videos, good editing software is a must.

I've spent a few hundred on mounts, batteries, etc. and I've had the camera less than a week. I have my eyes on a few more mounts, but I think this new hobby will just nickel and dime me from here on out.

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a GP Hero3+ and use it a lot. To make the best out of what the GP can do, be prepared to budget for numerous mounts, accessories, extra batteries, SD cards, housings, filters etc. In the last year, I have spent about $300.00 on such extras and do not regret it. If you want to make great videos, good editing software is a must.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the "look and enjoy" crowd, but if you have an action cam "mounted" to you or somewhere what's the difference? You are still looking and enjoying.

Like I said before, I use mine snowmobiling. If I am in an area I want to record, I slide the on switch forward and it records. I don't have a viewfinder to look through. Mine is mounted to my goggle strap on the side of my helmet. It sees what I see. I don't have to hold it, I don't have to make sure I'm getting a good shot.

I get to see what I want, and I also get to record it.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Go pros are awesome! Have not had a video camera in ten years.....just got one but, this thing is great for outdoor activity. In the pool, in the ocean and springs snorkeling, cycling, Jeeping etc.

Small / compact and easy to use in HD quality. Sent directly to your phone, I-pad and I understand to your smart TV ? I don't have one of those yet...lol.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with the guy who says just look and enjoy. We worked overseas during the 60's and 70's and I took nearly 3000 slides. Spend 6 months digitizing & photoshopping them and storing them digitally to avoid losing. Discarded all but the best. The kids and grandkids said "Oh, how neat", looked at them once, some of them. Have never been asked about them again in the past 10 years. No one wants the computer files of the old slides.

When my wife wants to get a photo of something now, I just say "Look and enjoy", store it in your memory until you die. After that it is of no use to anyone.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's awesome!!! I like the teletubbies reference.

We're getting another dog in June and were looking at the dog harnesses last night and thought that would be neat. We have an insane cat that I thought would produde interesting video if we can get him to keep it on. He wears a harness to go for walks, so he might be OK.