cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just ordered a Go Pro!!!

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just ordered a Go Pro to record some the family adventures this year. I went with the Hero 4 Silver, 2 extra batteries, 32GB SD card, and an accessory package with various mounts. This will be our first full season of camping and would like to capture some of the memories...especially for the kids to look back at. I'd also like to document some things we've done to our trailer as we only have photos (I kind of regret not making this purchase during our overhaul last year).

I used the original Go Pro mounted to a motorcycle & mountain bike, but I haven't used any of the newer models. Does anyone here use a Go Pro? Any tips for capturing interesting perspectives? There are a lot of mounts out there now...I'm especially not sure what to thing about the "selfie stick";) Some things I can see us recording are camping trips, beach/boat/waverunner, tractor/front end loader, ATV, shooting/archery, and other family outings.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
34 REPLIES 34

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Went skiing two weekends last month and there were "teletubbies" all over the hills!! It seemed that every other person had a block sticking out of their head.

I made a comment about what they used the footage for and one of the older teens told me that his Mom wanted him to wear it so if he happened to get killed, she would have the footage and know exactly what happened to him!! He was laughing about it and said that in the past 10 years, he had 8 broken bones, 2 cases of head trauma, 4 sprains, 7 different occasions of stitches. He was a snow-boarder during the winter and a skateboarder during warm weather.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
We call the people that wear them on their head or helmets "teletubbies" because that's what they look like.

I use a different brand of action cam, but they all get the intended purpose done. My bud has a go pro 3 black edition. It's nice, does a great job. Batteries die very fast in cold weather, we use them snowmobiling. And make sure you use a very high quality sd card. Go pros are picky on the sd cards. The cards he ended up buying were ~$100. Though I don't recall if he has a 32gb or 64gb.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
The GoPro is the greatest thing since sliced bread...my opinion only.
But has anyone figured out a way to use it as a head mount without looking like a complete dork or geek? I fly RC planes and like to film some of the flights from the ground so I attached the GoPro to the bill of a baseball cap and it serves the purpose well, but again, I look like a geek.
I have two GoPros. One has an aftermarket lense to remove the fish eye. I use it on a quad copter for overhead videos.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
rjsurfer wrote:
jpmihalk wrote:
GoPro has a nice companion app for the iPhones/Androids that allows you to remote control the newer WiFi versions of the cameras (turn on/off/record/etc.) and also remotely see what is being recorded. I use them for playing paintball in the woods and for other sporting events.

Could that version work as a rear view camera? I had thought about mounting it on the rear window and using my 10" notepad as the monitor up front in the cab. A distance of 28' or so.

Ron W.

I think that as long as you had an active WiFi connection with the notepad, it would work. That should be well within signal range, but your circumstances may vary.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
jpmihalk wrote:
GoPro has a nice companion app for the iPhones/Androids that allows you to remote control the newer WiFi versions of the cameras (turn on/off/record/etc.) and also remotely see what is being recorded. I use them for playing paintball in the woods and for other sporting events.

Could that version work as a rear view camera? I had thought about mounting it on the rear window and using my 10" notepad as the monitor up front in the cab. A distance of 28' or so.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

any_rd_but_main
Explorer
Explorer
You will enjoy it I bought mine a couple of months ago. Have the chest mount and sprung for the 64mb card they say it can record up to 4 hours. Also got the remote it is expensive but getting my big fingers in the recordings when turning it off and on now I just use the remote which I have on a lanyard on my belt. Check the remote out on their web site. Hope you enjoy it I have had so much fun with it and your hands are free to hike and everything else.

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
NiasWagn wrote:
mabynack wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Our one and only trip to Europe I spent so much time behind a camera I missed Europe! Never again will I get caught up taking pictures only to have them stored in a dusty box only to be discarded after Im gone.

My grandmother was an avid semi-professional photographer and took hundreds of thousands of photos between 1915 and her death 20 years ago. My mother let me borrow the photos and scan them and digitally correct the aging. I have made dozens of digital slide shows for family members and they are a big hit.

I've discovered that random photos of flowers and scenery aren't that popular, but photos of family members and pets are priceless.

I've also been in your shoes. I've been the videographer and photographer at several weddings and family gatherings and missed a lot of what's going on.

I rather enjoy looking at old photos (scenery included). These photos capture the moment of what it was like to live in the "olden days". I really like the ones with horse, farmstead, old car or building in the background. Just thought I'd say that...

I also have scanned all my photos and I mean ALL photos to disk and now have 8 boxes of photo albums that I will give to relatives that may want them. They start from 1910 to present and they all fit on a large flash drive and are backed up on a removeable hard drive. I also take trip photos and create videos of them to view on tv. That makes them much more enjoyable and everyone can see them at once.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

NiasWagn
Explorer
Explorer
mabynack wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Our one and only trip to Europe I spent so much time behind a camera I missed Europe! Never again will I get caught up taking pictures only to have them stored in a dusty box only to be discarded after Im gone.

My grandmother was an avid semi-professional photographer and took hundreds of thousands of photos between 1915 and her death 20 years ago. My mother let me borrow the photos and scan them and digitally correct the aging. I have made dozens of digital slide shows for family members and they are a big hit.

I've discovered that random photos of flowers and scenery aren't that popular, but photos of family members and pets are priceless.

I've also been in your shoes. I've been the videographer and photographer at several weddings and family gatherings and missed a lot of what's going on.

I rather enjoy looking at old photos (scenery included). These photos capture the moment of what it was like to live in the "olden days". I really like the ones with horse, farmstead, old car or building in the background. Just thought I'd say that...
2012 F-150 EB 3.73
2014 Forest River 25RR
2004 GL1800
2014 Texas Healer with wet nose named Molly

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
gatorcq wrote:
you must be rich! LOL

Ha!!! If only a video camera solved financial problems. We also don't own all those toys...I volunteer for an org and do a lot of property management for them.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
you must be rich! LOL
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

Ha ha Yeah Don when I was a young man I took pictures to show my fiends nobody gave a darn. So I just quite. Now that I am older I am back to taking pictures not to show my friends but to show me so I can remember where the hell I have been. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I just put them all on the computer and have them all (2200 so far) running in a continual loop.. When the older ones pop up I say to myself OH yeah that was a fun place to be.. Man this getting old stuff is hard on a fella. :?

RVcircus wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
my 16 year old daughter now has one... Its really cool seeing that perspective on video.. The chest or head mount shots are always good !!

I have a pistol match this weekend I'm going to try the head mount for. The camera is being delivered tomorrow, so I'm just looking for a reason to use it.

I would like to see that video ! We purchased the 8 piece accessories package from Amazon.. SO MUCH cheaper than the actual GO-PRO parts, yet all look basically the same and function identical. I believe they are from EEEKIT . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I received a Polaroid Cube for Christmas. It is the same principle and I have a couple of different mounts and a waterproof container.

The DH and I went on a cruise to the Caribbean with 4 other couples in February and it was my first use of it. It was fun, got some great video or a Mardi Gras parade in NOLA before we got on the ship, took video of our snokeling in Cozumel and then just some dinnertime fun in the dining room.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW