cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop: Temp Alarm Goes Out After Re-Boot

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If I play a movie or listen to MP3 music after 20 minutes an over-temperature red light turns on atop the keyboard. Air exiting the case is uncomfortably warm. The air is being pushed by the laptop fan.

But if I re-boot the computer the light will go out and stay out.

Is this something I should worry about?

And those gizmo accessory fan bases that a laptop an sit atop - are they effective?

I should mention the battery part of the case is cool to the touch throughout.

Can't really afford a new laptop even though this one is six or so years old. It works good for me. I just don't want to kill it.

Thank You
7 REPLIES 7

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
On Amazon search for "laptop cooling pad"

Here are 2 examples - both are clickable
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Re the fans.. I do not know, I use one from time to time can't say as I see any major difference. Let me check now Ok current temp is 133. I just plugged the fan in, Will finish this post later, Time is now 1:40PM Ok 12 minutes later still 133 but of course I'm working with the beast.

Now.. Something that might help.. Find the air vents and blow Ideally you open up the computer but I just took my compressor and blew into the vents, both the ones on the bottom and the ones on teh side. Dropped about 5-10 Degrees F

CORE TEMP works well with AMD chips. INTEL has a monitor program as well. Both free.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had an old laptop that was so bad I had the fan thingie PLUS in the summer I would bungie an ice pack over the hot spot. Used it that way for about 10 years before I finally got rid of it.

So, yes, the fan thingie will work and will keep your laptop alive.

As for compressed air, seems to me the better method would be to open up the case ans spray out the inside.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't put your 'laptop' on your lap. Put it on a hard surface (which could be on your lap). Some poorly designed laptops (like DW's old Dell) suck air from underneath and your clothing can interfere. If you're not wearing clothing, I don't want to know.

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestions and the fact you can reboot and improve also leads to some possibility of a Trojan/virus that has your proceesor working overtime, so it would not hurt to run a virus check too.

MrWizard
compressed air
all the little vents and the fan area

and yes you should be concerned, its the CPU that is getting hot (not the battery)

and yes the inclined laptop holders with fans for cooling do help

the one i have now has (3) movable fans than can be positioned anyplace you want on the underside of the grill to blow air on the hot spots, which vary from PC to PC {also makes it easy to clean those fans}
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Might clean the fan. They can get dusty.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter