cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Local Media Server

Jimf1234
Explorer
Explorer
My current setup is I have 3 tv's and 3 1st gen apple tv's in my 5th wheel. I have smart playlists setup and once I get home the apple tv's connect to home network and update the playlists automatically. The issue is the apple tv's are not very happy and running slower and slower.

What I would like help with is setting up a similar setup with wireless and 1 hard drive connected to a ubiquiti/wif ranger router. The issue I'm having is coming up with a streaming device for my tv's. I want it to work without internet, they will all be connected locally on wifi though. Will a chromecast/or anything else work streaming from a Dlna local server?
At home I have started using Plex but don't want to have a Plex server in my camper. I'm hoping Dlna is a good alternative. I'm open to any ideas though. The Amazon Firestick will not work without internet.
Thanks for any help.
Jim
2013 Sandpiper 365 SAQ
2016 Dodge 3500 900ftlbs Limited
15 REPLIES 15

Jimf1234
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
slow because the HHD is wearing out/full, does not function the same as new

or slow compared to new hardware with higher resolution capability ?
i'm trying to determine what is wrong, if anything, with the OPs hardware
does he need to replace it to gain performance , {most likely}

or does he need to clean up the rubbish files and make more space to optimize its performance

Every couple of years I do a factory reset to get everything back up and running at full speed. The issue this year is The Apple TV 1st gen no longer works with iTunes 12.7. So now I need a different solution. I have ordered the android tv box to see how that works. I'm actually hoping a new Mac mini comes out and I will retire my current one to the Rv.
2013 Sandpiper 365 SAQ

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

can't help with a router recommendation, i too need to go this route
only one TV and one laptop, but 3 external HDD and a new segate 8TB backup hub, i need to connect, as my 3TB primary is almost full and 3 years? old

I just built a x86 kodi box using a J3345 itx motherboard, LibreELEC, two laptop hard drives for 9tb of internal storage and it draws 10W. I have another Seagate 8TB USB drive attached for a total of 17tb. Kodi networks well so I can copy files to the Kodi box while on our home network. The Kodi box, TV and stereo draws ~34 watts when watching a movie, which is about the same as an old laptop. I haven't tried to stream from the Kodi box but I assume I can as it supports DLNA. So far it's rock solid (only built it 2 weeks ago), booting in about 20 seconds. Kodi support Plex so I can stream from our Plex server if we have enough internet bandwidth.

Bruce
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

does he need to replace it to gain performance . . .

Yep
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

MrWizard
slow because the HHD is wearing out/full, does not function the same as new

or slow compared to new hardware with higher resolution capability ?

i know that newer hardware performs faster with higher res video

does he need to replace it to gain performance , {most likely}

or does he need to clean up the rubbish files and make more space to optimize its performance

i don't have an apple TV, put i do know what happens when my drives are over burden with to many fractured files and not enough empty spacing for proper file allocation, and the heads have to jump from sector to sector all over the drive to retrieve a file
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
why are apple TVs running slow ?

OP has 1st gen AppleTV.

Introduced in 2007, it is now very slow and barely designed for 720p video. However, it's saving grace is that it has a built in hard drive (only 160GB max) unlike the later generation AppleTVs without hard drives.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

MrWizard
why are apple TVs running slow ?

play lists too long ?

drive/memory too full ?, not enough head room, for efficient operation ?

electronic devices do not get mechanically worn out (well drives can fail)

they get 'over burden' with to much clutter

i too, recommend wifi capable android box with kodi, networked to your server
perhaps a 'personal cloud hard drive' ?

can't help with a router recommendation, i too need to go this route
only one TV and one laptop, but 3 external HDD and a new segate 8TB backup hub, i need to connect, as my 3TB primary is almost full and 3 years? old
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 5 computers in this RV all networked via a standard Home/Small office Router, at the moment a Belkin but I've used others in the past. I DO NOT RECOMMEND BELKIN.

ONE is a 100 dollar windows 7 Referb "Desktop" from Target.

I also have two REPLAY TV units and a Chromecast

The Replays have a problem. they don't have nearly enough hard drivem when I'n in a well covered (TV WISE) area I tend to fill 'em up and have to "off load" to the win-7 box. from there I can copy or move videos to any other computer device, my smart phone or tablet. all can handle the video format the Replays use.

Or I can stream back to the replays or to the chromecast or.. Well you get the idea.

The magic is the software. THe software I use is specific to the Replay but ...

Casting to a Chrome cast can be done by many different software packages if you have the casting extension installed.

I assume this is true of most other video clients as well but not having them that is an assumption.

Finally. There is a computer.. Now you have to do a bit of "Work" to use it but Raspeberry PI

The original Pi's and every one since has the ability to play videos from any source you can "Download" from.. I have a PI but have yet to assemble and program it, This is a linux box but it should be able to play videos stored on any of my systems. Provided it is connected to my router.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
I've been playing with cheap android tv box that will run Kodi. It seems to work without internet access and playing from USB drives.

Android TV box at Amazon

Bruce
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

Jimf1234
Explorer
Explorer
Kodi does work without internet the problem is the firestick will not. What are some other kodi devices that might work without internet?
2013 Sandpiper 365 SAQ

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Jimf1234 wrote:
Kodi worked great I just need a different piece of hardware for the Kodi client.

Do some more research on Kodi and Plex. Out of the box they may want you to authenticate to an external server, but at least on Plex there's an option to specify a network that doesn't require authentication and therefore doesn't need an external connection. I suspect Kodi might be similar given their shared heritage with Plex.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

Jimf1234
Explorer
Explorer
My router r7000 will stream over Dlna. My issue is getting something to stream the video without an internet connection. I loaded Kodi on a firestick this morning and it won't work without internet. It's a firestick issue without internet the only option the firestick will give you is to change network settings. I have no access to any other menu.

I use a Mac-mini in my house that runs an iTunes and Plex server but don't need that in the rv.

Kodi worked great I just need a different piece of hardware for the Kodi client.
2013 Sandpiper 365 SAQ

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds more like you're asking about replacing the clients rather than the server?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
My router has a mini-dlna server built in, just plug a usb drive into it. It's a Netgear WNDR3700v3, but I bet most do now.
-- Chris Bryant

Y-Guy
I'd second the use of Kodi since Plex requires internet.

But that said if your media is already in iTunes you might get a mac mini and use it to share your media, then you can either use the ATV1s or pick up a new ATV3 or 4. They can then use the "computer" option to stream data.

At home I use the mini to serve my media throughout the house and use the iTunes for some media and Plex for my older media. Plex is able to run on my FireTV and ATV4 without playing the sideloading game.

However in our RV I fall back and use Kodi since Plex requires internet (which is a bummer). The mac mini serves the media right to my main TV, and the rear TV has an oder ATV with some media loaded on it, and the ability to access the rest via my in RV wifi, which just allows me to stream, but that is only used for loner stays.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon