cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

looking for music app alternative to google play

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Any of you that have an Android phone, know that google decided to get rid of google play and migrate to yahoo music. I have thousands of songs I paid for and yahoo music requires a subscription, not to mention it's just horrible with it's format. What google has done is awful, making me pay to hear music I already own and ads on top of it. Looking for technical advice on how I get my songs off google play and into an app that's just a player. I am NOT tech savvy so no idea how to even approach this. Scoured the web for a solution and couldn't come up with much.

Thanks

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
21 REPLIES 21

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Spotify is more like a virus..

But, in order to be able to import anything, in this case, one would have to download the library and playlists THEN "unzip" or expand the compressed file ending in zip or tgz.

How is Spotify more like a virus?

Spotify has in the past had issues with malware of various sorts being inadvertently served up to their customers.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
It's interesting that Media Monkey is not mentioned in this tread. It only shows as #9 out of the list "Top 14 Music Management Software". I used it to rip all our music CDs to my PC and the end result is just a normal folder (My Music) with subfolders named by (artist) and then by (album name) within artist as mp3 files. Media Monkey just organizes all this by every which to allow you to play music by playlist, artist, etc. The music files are yours on your PC with no other connections to Media Monkey than as the organizer. There is a free version of Media Monkey, but they offer the Golden version for a price and it is reasonable so I eventually went that way.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I use foobar2000 both on my PC and my Android phone:

foorbar2000 for Android

foobar2000 for PC
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

daissy
Explorer
Explorer
As there is no Google Play Music, I switched to Amazon Music for its better audio quality. However, I need to find out a way to listen to Amazon Music offline on other devices. As a result, I got the DRmare Amazon MP3 Music Downloader to help me. Then I can enjoy Amazon Music easily.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

But, in order to be able to import anything, in this case, one would have to download the library and playlists THEN "unzip" or expand the compressed file ending in zip or tgz.

How is Spotify more like a virus?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
The 8 best local music players on Android, now that Google Play Music is dead - Android Police:

Click here

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
There is an Android version of VLC aka Video Lan Player

THANK YOU.. I've use VLC on my Windows boxes for a long time. (It is one of the few players compatible with my DVRs)

And I found out a few days late you can Still DOWNLOAD You Tube Videos (used you had that option in the menus but YT got rid of that) and VLC is one step in the process (it is a process and no I won't go into the whole thing cause thogh I tried it... Just for kicks... I downloaded what is really and add

What I did not download (Wish I had) is a fantastic 2 hour Musical (Jeff Wayne's War of the Wrolds) But then The Music is the more important part (The video is nice but it's really the MUSIC that grabs me) and I have the CD's so.. Bought and paid for CD's.

And folks.. That is one amazing set of music. You can find chunks on You Tube (not the full 2 hour show but one or two piece segments like Forever Autumn/Thunder Child) Give 'em a listen then go visit the CD Sore.. You will need a top end CD store.. Not many carry it.

How many? Detroit is not just the Motor City. it's also a Music City. and one store, in all of Detroit ONE STORE (Harmony House main store) had it. Just the MAIN store (Which is not in Detroit)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Spotify allows the user to import "local files" into its library and playlists. You can log into a Spotify account across many platforms (iOS, Android, Windows, MacOs).
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both .zip and .tgz are "compressed" file types.

Typically done to archive old files.

READ HERE

Unless you have a MAC, go with .zip since Win7 and up can natively open those.

Once downloaded you should be able to expand the files and hopefully your lists are in there.

vort_max
Explorer
Explorer
As to last question about not gettin a usable format - is it because I already transferred my music playlists from Google Play to Youtube???

vort_max
Explorer
Explorer
Logging in to "Google Play" does not show audio files - only apps, movies & tv, etc.

When I log in to "Google Play Music", I get "Google play music no longer available". I then click manage your data, the I click "download your music library", I select "Google Play Music" because that is where my playlists are located. It takes me to: choose file type & it only offers .zip or .tgz

What am I doing wrong?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
It's free, it will play mp3 and a variety of video formats
The original is a PC program that plays, streams, records, and had easy to create play lists
Android also has MX player for multi media
I like to check non Google Android download sites for older versions of programs before almost everything became advertising supported,
Just run a virus scan on each and every download before installing, and make sure everything on your Android device is backed up before installing a any new app

Be smart and download directly from the Google Play store, app division. If it's not on there, chances are you don't need it. Most older ad-free apps don't seem to be supported.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

MrWizard
It's free, it will play mp3 and a variety of video formats
The original is a PC program that plays, streams, records, and had easy to create play lists
Android also has MX player for multi media
I like to check non Google Android download sites for older versions of programs before almost everything became advertising supported,
Just run a virus scan on each and every download before installing, and make sure everything on your Android device is backed up before installing a any new app
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s