cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Make a "Smart" RV ?

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
How would you guys go about retrofitting a older old RV into a smart RV?
Proud father of a US Marine
41 REPLIES 41

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
suprz, I think I get what you are wanting.... look on you tube for a guy who does many RV projects:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcxUAeQlPzZR8KLHAJL8Mrw

This gentleman, in my opinion does a great (you tube) video, no loud music, gets right to the point, no dumb long intros... just good info.
I have learned some good stuff from him, regarding remote controls, dimmers, electronics, and generally what I think of as high tech.
He does videos on a large variety of topics so you have to pick and choose what interests you.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Start with a smart owner

az99
Explorer
Explorer
That will give you a new hobby when you are camping. You will be able to figure out why it is not working and them attempt to fix it like all of us with the new smart RV's. ๐Ÿ™‚

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok maybe a digital programmable thermostat. Although I don't see the need to connect to your phone.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The more complex the system the more likely to fail and may be much harder to diagnose. I am not anti hi tech. But I want to be able to go to an ordinary hardware store for replacement parts.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
I'm talking about technology. Touch pads, internet, cell phone, auto on/off lights appliances, etc.. voice commands... ie: Siri, Alexa...etc. what would you want, need, find cool to have

A basic reliable comfortable rv with out more things that are going to fail. Manufacturers are trying this and I would never buy into it from a manufacturer that canโ€™t get the basics of quality construction and reliability correct never mind adding more complex systems . Just curious why the original poster feels the need for rv automation ? Cool probably, needed not necessarily, prone to fail definitely.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't all the wifi switches for houses work on an RV? Just install them? Light switches, heater thermostat, stereo, etc and you can control them with a smart phone?

I know very little about this. Is this related to the "nest" system I hear about for homes?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
since OP just wants doo-dads, why put them on an old crate that is worthless just so he can show off what each button can do? I'd spend that money on a man cave that I could enjoy 24/7/365.
and yes, negative answers are appropriate to stupid ideas.
bumpy

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Not saying I want to do all the things I listed, but looking for inspiration on maybe doing some projects, etc... I can understand being simplistic, back to basics etc... but remember that the guy in the tent watching you and I pull into a campground with our RV's... might feel that WE are the heretics, etc everyone camps different
Proud father of a US Marine

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
I once read a book about the Wright brothers development of the first airplane and I suspect that a lot of the posters on this thread where there in Dayton, advising Orville and Wilbur on their proposed project.

Been watching this forum for many years and never have I seen such a bunch of negative answers to an interesting question. Wow!

To the OP, you might want to investigate "RV-C" which is an RV specific programing language with a lot of "stuff" that it is capable of controlling. Could be an interesting project. It is a two wire system however and might be difficult to install in a completed RV. Probably be better off investigating blue tooth products, or Arduino devices.

Good luck and keep those of us who have open minds advised of your progress.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
suprz wrote:
I'm talking about technology. Touch pads, internet, cell phone, auto on/off lights appliances, etc.. voice commands... ie: Siri, Alexa...etc. what would you want, need, find cool to have

Cameras that can be hacked so the hacker can watch you walk around in your BVD's.

No. .I'd not do that. No motivation at all to do that.

This "Smart" technology is "nice" But the failure rate is kind of high and in an RV that can cause a secondary failure that is fatal if something happens when say you are driving.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:

Let's take 'em one by one:
- touch pads: hold that thought
- internet: easy to do with a SmartPhone Hotspot or a dedicated HotSpot
- cell phone: spend a couple of hundred buxs for a dash radio unit with bluetooth and you'll get what you want

The rest. It can be done - but you're going to have to bust out the soldering iron and roll your own I would guess.

You'd have to be a Nerd at heart.
I'm up to, um, five Raspberry Pis in our RV doing "stuff"

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
... never mind.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:

no...and IMO totally unnecessary.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
I would start with $ 1,000,000 dollars and throw money at it till it was what you want, or just buy a new one for half that amount.