cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MBR 3 Error

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
My computer (desktop tower) shutdown and will not boot up, flashes the mbr 3 error, it will boot to the Windows 10 blue flag and no further. I rebooted several times comes up to flag says preparing repair but never does.
Tried downloading media recovery on a usb go to boot sequence to tell it what to boot to but no go; still boots to the flag.
Put an old HD in that I replaced just to get a bigger drive but it will not boot to it either. The only thing I have not tried is the Windows 10 disc but I do not have it since this was the free downloaded upgrade from Microsoft, do I buy the disc or do I have a hardware issue? Computer is 6 yrs old
3 REPLIES 3

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
How did you attempt to boot from the old HD? Unless you went into the BIOS and changed the boot order it won't work since the MBR is part of what tells the computer which HD to boot from.

I have went in and changed boot order, booted from a Sandisk of downloaded repair media, reinstalled the old hard drive all with the same results; and after talking with tech support from Microsoft they think I have a hardware issue. Since it is 6 years old I have ordered a new computer.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
How did you attempt to boot from the old HD? Unless you went into the BIOS and changed the boot order it won't work since the MBR is part of what tells the computer which HD to boot from.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
Master boot record MBR is part of the OS and hard drive. How it followed from one hard drive to another I don't know. Just do a search for the error and you will find a solution to get a ISO copy of Win 10 and how to fix the problem.