cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mobile Router that will auto connect to Wi FI- RESOLVED

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I am looking to install a mobile router that will auto connect to my wifi at home and that will auto connect to my hotspot or known wifi source when on the road. I want to set it up once and forget about it. I don't want to reset/reconnect the router at each destination.
Do all models auto connect? Is there a model I should look for?
I'm looking for a mobile router. Should I be looking for a different device?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide
20 REPLIES 20

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something to consider, get a cell based mobile router. We have a park model in a campground as our primary residence with a mobile cell router that is connected to another wifi router. Everything in the house is connected to that router. I'm going to spend the extra money to set up a different unit for the 5th wheel, but very similar, it will stay in the trailer, and everything while we travel will be connected to that router.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Well as it turned out the resolution was simple and did not require a travel Router after all.
My home router has a guest channel that allows one to give wifi access to guest without giving guest your main wifi password.
My hotspot also has a guest channel to allow WIFI access for guest via my hotspot.
I simply made the SSID and password the same for my home router and hotspot.
Now when at home the RV auto connects to my home WIFI and when on the road the RV auto connects to my hotspot.
This entire issue was precipitated by my Micro Air RV smart thermostat, that can only store one SSID at a time. Because I did not want to reset the thermostat each trip , I needed a way to allow the Micro Air thermostat to connect to wifi without me having to manually set it up each trip.
Using the guest channels has proven to be a worthwhile solution. Thank to all and yes I was made aware of routers that would have worked by a couple of members, but member Gemsworld gave me the idea to rename/share the SSID and password, which ultimately resolved the issue.
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Mango

I am pretty sure this is what you are looking for. I use it for our two different hotspots, one ATT and one Verizon, and after it is set up I don't have to do anything other than turn on the hotspot I want to use.

Edited to add: I posted this using one as I sit here looking at the lake.

Thanks DTD that appears to be what I'm looking for.
Correct Trax,Splendide

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I used to have a WiFi Ranger that was comprised of a router with custom software and a Ubiquiti Bullet amplified antenna - it was supposed to do exactly what you're looking for though I found it a bit flakey. The router croaked so I replaced it with a regular router / AP. Connected through the AP, it's possible to login to the Bullet. It has several screens that tell you about the quality of signals available. Easy to login from there. Manual connection, but easy and robust. I don't have / need a phone hotspot.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
That is what I want. Sign in once and then the router will remember and sign in automatically from then on! I don't want to have to sign in at home every time or sign into hotspot every time.
Thanks. Do you have ant model numbers?

My model is discontinued, but search for "travel router" and you will get multiple options.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
I must be missing something. Hotspots are routers and any device I connect to it will always auto connect to my hotspot. And as long as it has a signal, it auto connects and subsequently so do all my devices to it. Hotspots and local wifi are completely independent of one another. If I go to a CG and want to use their wifi, and it has a password, I have to put that in. I think it takes me about 30 seconds. But if I revisit the same source all my devices remember it. But why bother if you have a hot spot? Sorry if I am daft, but I am just not understanding the actual problem.

I am not commenting on the OP's useage, but for my purposes, I can use two different hotspots depending on coverage, or my home wifi for devices that will only connect to one wifi network at a time, and don't remember any others. Such as my original Chromecast or Roku. (Yes I have ones that are dedicated to our 5th wheel. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) Otherwise you have to go to the menus and set them up for whatever source you have. The item I linked to above will automatically connect to whatever network it sees, and then my Chromecast and/or Roku connect to that and get internet so they are happy.

Another option is to name all your wifi producing devices the same, and use the same password, but that can get messy at times. Plus it's more fun coming up with interesting names for the networks, like my Mango being named "Wifiver".
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
lane hog wrote:
So.... why not just use your cell phone as a hotspot if it's already working on all those networks?...

My cell phone as a hotspot does not work nearly as well as my hotspot as a hotspot. Furthermore I need to use my cell phone as a cell phone!
If I leave the RV with my cell phone the internet leaves the RV.
Devices and people in the RV would have no internet.

A dedicated hot spot will work far better than a phone as a hot spot, in addition typically the hot spot will also act as a router for up to a number of devices. Our is always in the 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
I must be missing something. Hotspots are routers and any device I connect to it will always auto connect to my hotspot. And as long as it has a signal, it auto connects and subsequently so do all my devices to it. Hotspots and local wifi are completely independent of one another. If I go to a CG and want to use their wifi, and it has a password, I have to put that in. I think it takes me about 30 seconds. But if I revisit the same source all my devices remember it. But why bother if you have a hot spot? Sorry if I am daft, but I am just not understanding the actual problem.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mango

I am pretty sure this is what you are looking for. I use it for our two different hotspots, one ATT and one Verizon, and after it is set up I don't have to do anything other than turn on the hotspot I want to use.

Edited to add: I posted this using one as I sit here looking at the lake.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bobbo wrote:
I have done exactly what you are asking. DW and I went to Europe in 2017 with another couple for 4 weeks, touring. We all had cell phones to connect to the local wifi, along with laptops and/or tablets. We had at least 8 devices, or more to connect. I took a small travel router. We connected all of our devices to the travel router, and whenever the travel router connected, all of our devices were automatically connected.

However, I always had to manually connect the travel router to the local wifi. There is no way to "automatically" do that the first time. The problem is that there are usually multiple wifi sources, and you are only authorized the one provided by your host. Also, there may be a security password that must be entered.

So, no, there is no way to "automatically" log in a wifi, but, yes, you can manually log in a wifi, once, at each location and your other devices would then "automatically" be logged in.

Now, as far as your home wifi and your personal hotspot, once you have logged the travel router into them one time, it will auto connect to them from then on.

This is the one I have and am well pleased with it. (This one can connect via wifi or via ethernet cable.)

That is what I want. Sign in once and then the router will remember and sign in automatically from then on! I don't want to have to sign in at home every time or sign into hotspot every time.
Thanks. Do you have ant model numbers?
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have done exactly what you are asking. DW and I went to Europe in 2017 with another couple for 4 weeks, touring. We all had cell phones to connect to the local wifi, along with laptops and/or tablets. We had at least 8 devices, or more to connect. I took a small travel router. We connected all of our devices to the travel router, and whenever the travel router connected, all of our devices were automatically connected.

However, I always had to manually connect the travel router to the local wifi. There is no way to "automatically" do that the first time. The problem is that there are usually multiple wifi sources, and you are only authorized the one provided by your host. Also, there may be a security password that must be entered.

So, no, there is no way to "automatically" log in a wifi, but, yes, you can manually log in a wifi, once, at each location and your other devices would then "automatically" be logged in.

Now, as far as your home wifi and your personal hotspot, once you have logged the travel router into them one time, it will auto connect to them from then on.

This is the one I have and am well pleased with it. (This one can connect via wifi or via ethernet cable.)

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
lane hog wrote:
So.... why not just use your cell phone as a hotspot if it's already working on all those networks?...

My cell phone as a hotspot does not work nearly as well as my hotspot as a hotspot. Furthermore I need to use my cell phone as a cell phone!
If I leave the RV with my cell phone the internet leaves the RV.
Devices and people in the RV would have no internet.
Correct Trax,Splendide

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My cell phone or even my amazon show remembers where it has been and will automatically connect to known sources without any interaction from me.
My cell phone auto connects at my office, at my parents, at my brothers, or any where else I have already set up to connect.
I want an RV traveling device to do the same. I can't believe this device/feature does not exist.
Correct Trax,Splendide