cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

movies offline while boondocking

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
What's the least expensive way to have movies while boondocking with out signal or wifi? Thinking tablet with downloaded movies. How much can you put on a tablet and with what size chip? Is there a better way for a non tec person.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)
43 REPLIES 43

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"You can use this on DVD's from a local library, your friends, or any other source you may have."

Why would you encourage copyright infringement?

If someone went to the library, got a movie, recorded it to a harddrive, watched it, then deleted it, why is that any different than just watching it from a DVD? I know technically it's a crime but we're not talking about somebody posting it on YouTube.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a PC in the RV. I use https://www.dvdshrink.org/ to copy movies to my external hard drive.

DISCLAIMER: ONLY MOVIES I'VE BOUGHT. NEVER REDBOX MOVIES.

I also download videos from YouTube to that drive. Documentaries & such. I share the drive on my home network when we're home and download stuff to it while parked in the garage.

We always have stuff to watch.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I certinely don't run my gen. to watch movies, as a matter of fact I haven't run my gen. since I installed solar a couple of yrs. ago.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are all ripped using dvdfab to a 1tb WD small usb powered hard drive, plug into the tv and I have my movies

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG wrote:
Some can't afford anything other than the generator.
That's one theory. Another is they are not familiar with inverters, which are very cheap nowadays.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a 200 slot DVD case. Doesn’t take much space at all. Then you can easily swap movies with friends and family. We’ve tried downloading from Netflix, xfinity, Hulu and hoopla but you still have to be in a area with decent cell service to just be able to open the app. Got to frustrating. And we’ve always owned a portable DVD player for our children so they can be entertained for the ride up and the ride back. So when stuck in the trailer while boondocking the children can watch their movies and we can watch ours on the rig television
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHS—2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

Understand and agree. 🙂

My initial comment, while unnecessary, was really only responding to another unnecessary comment.
I love me some land yachting

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Running a generator to watch TV. That's a good one.

Yep, especially when there are great solar and inverter systems out there.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
NMDriver2 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Why would you encourage copyright infringement?

LOL that is so precious. Why do you encourage people not to panic?

Are you saying you have never recorded any sports or entertainment event from your TV before getting the express permission of the broadcaster?

Anyway I did not encourage anyone to infringe. I pointed them to a web site that details how to copy DVDs to storage devices. It is up to them to determine the legality of their actions not me.

Judge not, less you be judged. 😉
"...copy any movie, software, etc. DVD to your computer file or copy it to your blank DVD, flash drive, or removable storage device. You can use this on DVD's from a local library, your friends, or any other source you may have."

How, exactly, is this not encouraging to infringe?

And when is asking a question "judging"? Some people may not be aware that copying a movie they don't own, is copyright infringement.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Yep, especially when there are great solar and inverter systems out there.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
A bit more complex, but superior way, would be to take all of your DVDs and rip them to digital form. Put all of those on a Plex server running on something like a headless MAC Mini. I have that running along with a very small wireless router (no internet connection required) and a Roku stick plugged into the HDMI on the non-smart TV. Works incredible well and everyone can see movies on a large screen TV or a tablet/iPad/phone at the same time.

As said, it is a bit more complex and involved initially getting it up and running in the RV but it is pretty cool to have all my purchased movies on a single 8" x 8" very quiet MAC Mini.

A Plex server is free software, or there is a purchase option for added features, and it arranges all of your content as though the movies or series are available from a professional content server with movie posters, meta data (descriptions, actors, directors, date, etc). Yes, you will want an internet connection when you are ripping your DVDs/Blu-Rays so it can download all of that meta data. I run the Plex at home and then when out in the RV, move it to there for our trips.

It did take a while to get all of my owned movies ripped but once it is done, it is done.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
You are boondocking. Don't run your generator and sit inside and watch movies. Sit outside by the campfire (if allowed) and enjoy nature. . . :B . .
There's times when the wind blows and rain going sideways that I don't enjoy nature. Staying in a TC for 2 days straight isn't fun.Movies pass the time in those cases.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Laptop, 1-2TB external portable hard drive, and VLC.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)