cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Multi-meter recommendations, please!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
My husband has mentioned a time or two that he wants a new multimeter. Seems like a perfect gift, but I know less than nothing about them so thought I'd ask you folks for recommendations.

Looking for something sort of all-around, if it's out there- he does auto/RV as well as home electrical stuff.....

Thanks!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
54 REPLIES 54

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every multimeter I own was the cheapest I could find at the time. I have both analog and digital. Personally, I prefer the analog meter.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Klein MM200 last year and love it. It doesn't have a clamp but does everything else I need. Klein tools are some of the best you can buy.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
One of the most useful meters that I have is a DC clamp-on multimeter. Most clamp-on meters measure AC current only, so if your intention is to measure DC current make sure to check the specs. Sears sells a meter that looks good.
Craftsman clamp-on meter

It's funny you should mention the clamp-on...he's got one of those that he uses quite a bit. I'll have to look and see if it's ac/dc...seems like I've seen it used both in the house and on the vehicles.

Per other suggestions:

Several mention hertz measurement as useful for generators...what (if any) other applications would this feature be useful for?

Also:
I see that at least one has a temperature feature- what would that be used for?

And while I'm thinking of it, a bit about my Husband's "tool taste":
He's got a shop full of professional grade tools, so I'd like to buy something that fits in, if you know what I mean!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Go to harbor freight and pick one. He will love it and it will work just fine for general RV use.

Before going to Harbor Freight look for one of their free coupons with any purchase - one of their free coupons is for their multi-meter. It is good enough for basic use - and it was free.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to harbor freight and pick one. He will love it and it will work just fine for general RV use.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I like my Craftsman with clamp on DC amp capability, DC amps handy to have around RV magnetic brakes. I also have a dozen or so of the cheap Harbor Freight ones.

swburbguy, digital yes but did I have a hard time letting go of my old analog. Auto ranging was messing with my mind for a long time.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
One of the most useful meters that I have is a DC clamp-on multimeter. Most clamp-on meters measure AC current only, so if your intention is to measure DC current make sure to check the specs. Sears sells a meter that looks good.
Craftsman clamp-on meter
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
swburbguy wrote:
Being a retired electrician. Which ever meter you buy make sure its a digital readout. The average person would not be able to read the meter scale on an analog meter.

I personally have both a Fluke 87 III True RMS digital meter and a Simpson 260 Series analog meter. Both have been great throughout the years, never giving me problems. Both digital and analog have their purposes, but if I were to buy another one for some reason it would be a digital. Also like the post above mentioned it should have Hz or frequency capability to set Hz on the generator. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

swburbguy
Explorer
Explorer
Being a retired electrician. Which ever meter you buy make sure its a digital readout. The average person would not be able to read the meter scale on an analog meter.

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
Prices are all over the place. If I was purchasing one I would get one with frequency capabilities as well so I could adjust my generators output. Here is one that looks pretty good. I have a model similar to this (without the frequncny and temperature capabilities) and it has served me well.

Craftsman Multimeter and Probe
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!