cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Phone

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Need a new phone ... account with T-Mobile and don't want to change that.

We each have a Samsung Android Smart phone at the moment and no need to change that - even tho it's like a brick. It has hotspot and good camera which we use on the road or when our home internet goes down - more frequently than we like.

I'd like the older model flip-phones - fits in my pocket when I run around town and doesn't weigh a ton. Just need it when I'm out and about short trips, etc. Not interested in spending $1000 that does everything but drive my truck for me. I use it only for talk-text or an occasional interesting photo butI could skip the photo part as I usually have my Canon with me...

When I read flip-phone reviews, most are 3.0 or less. Would prefer a better quality, but it seems no one builds them anymore.

Anyone got any advice here. I'd want it to attach to my T-Mobile senior account which allows two phones. I only use one line now.

I mostly do not believe the Advertising, but I do believe RV.net tech guys ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks, M44 -
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
22 REPLIES 22

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Will head down to T-Mobile store in next few days ... and correct, I've always bought direct from carrier store. Never from Online or some other store. If I have T-Mobile phone and service, will likely get better overall service if I have trouble.

I've been with T-Mobile a few years and have fairly good service, even nationwide in rural areas when traveling. I'll just go back to them again ... Thanks for the info and advice guys -- happy camping !! Finally ๐Ÿ™‚ M44
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too would buy from your current carrier, T-Mobile. You could have someone "clear" most of the electronic buttons off the first screen if you are forced to buy a smart phone. No need to "see" or use those features if you don't want to do so.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:
I'd stick with in-store T-Mobile if I can ... store's only a about ten miles. But am looking for a little feedback here first. It's possible I may have to go with that odd folding phone they sell. Prefer not, but if other options are either obsolete, or contain tech I will never use, but pay for anyway - may have to do that.

I care less about the cost than I do a large pocket full of phone. And, hate paying for all the extras I don't need or use. Just a simple phone call - what happened to a simple phone call when you need it? >>>>> Biting the bullet is the only way left to us.

Honestly, the flip phones are going to be pretty similar as in not better or worse and not much variation in features.. If what you buy from T mobile doesn't work as well as your smart phone then take it up with T mobile as they were the one that sold it to you.

But if you really think you will find one that is better than what T mobile offers then what you are looking for is one that is "Unlocked" (IE not locked into a carrier) and it must be 4G VoLTE capable.. 4G without VoLTE will not work once the 3G is turned off. Just be aware, that bringing a unlocked phone into the mix, T mobile may not be willing to assist you and blame the issues you have with that phone on the fact that you bought it elsewhere (it is their network and they can do as they please).

HERE is a internet search for unlocked fip phone with 4G VoLTE to get you started..

After my experience with trying to use a unlocked phone which was a total failure I would recommend trying the T mobiles flip phone first, if it doesn't make and receive calls it then is up to T mobile to make it right for you buy exchanging/replacing or refunding your money.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

As of July 2022 T-Mobile is dropping g3 voice service. That is going to mean you can't use them except for voip programs such as Whatsapp.

I hate this forced obsolescence.

Umm, no, not fully true statement.

Yes, "3G" is being in process of being sunsetted, but as long as the flip phones have 4G digital "Voice over LTE" (IE VoLTE) capability there is zero issue using a flip phone..

The Alcatel Go flip 4 I found on T mobiles website DOES indeed support 4G VoLTE per T mobile website "Enjoy enhanced audio and clear VoLTE calls with 4G LTE connectivity."

Buying an very old obsolete third party flip phone from another vendor does have the real possibility of being 3G/4G and the 4G may not have "VoLTE" capability which would make it a worthless paper weight..

The key here is finding a new enough flip phone which has 4G VoLTE capability..

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

As of July 2022 T-Mobile is dropping g3 voice service. That is going to mean you can't use them except for voip programs such as Whatsapp.

I received a free Alcatel MyFlip A405DL Flip phone from Tracfone when they notified that 3G was going away. Nice little phone with all features but compact and works on 4G.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd stick with in-store T-Mobile if I can ... store's only a about ten miles. But am looking for a little feedback here first. It's possible I may have to go with that odd folding phone they sell. Prefer not, but if other options are either obsolete, or contain tech I will never use, but pay for anyway - may have to do that.

I care less about the cost than I do a large pocket full of phone. And, hate paying for all the extras I don't need or use. Just a simple phone call - what happened to a simple phone call when you need it? >>>>> Biting the bullet is the only way left to us.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

As of July 2022 T-Mobile is dropping 3g voice service. That is going to mean you can't use them except for voip programs such as Whatsapp.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hear you, miss my old flip phones, simple and reliable devices without the endless parade of "updates", they just worked and fit easily in a pocket.

Sadly very few vendors making the old simple flip phones.

Did you check your service provider (T Mobile)?

They do list a Alcatel "GO Flip 4"..

HERE

I have had Alcatels when I was a TracPhone customer, I would put them as OK, not the greatest or best but OK.

After an issue I had with Tracphone when I tried to use an unlocked Motorola phone I bought new unlocked from Motorola and they (Tracphone) bricked it and blamed Motorola I would really recommend you stick with buying phones from your phone service.. It will save you tons of aggravation..