cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OK, A little Help please

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me start by saying that we are basically computer illiterate/ non techno people, we do have 2 different brands of smart phones with Verizon service.
We both have 4G capability, do we also need Verizon Hot Spot for the Lap Top, Smart phones, Tablet ? Or can I hook a 4G phone to the other devices & get wifi? If so, how, and will it work everywhere I get a Cell signal? :h :E
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
9 REPLIES 9

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Verizon likes to give you only so much data,,Then encourage you to subscribe to NetFlix or other streaming video.. Then CHA CHING when you get your bill and find 1,000 in overage charges (OK, perhaps not that much).
Yes, if you're so unaware that streaming uses lots of data, and if you never check your usage until you get the bill. If you're that slow, perhaps a smartphone is not for you.

I rarely check my usage but I'm not slow, I'm just lucky enough to have a grandfathered unlimited data plan!
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Verizon likes to give you only so much data,,Then encourage you to subscribe to NetFlix or other streaming video.. Then CHA CHING when you get your bill and find 1,000 in overage charges (OK, perhaps not that much).
Yes, if you're so unaware that streaming uses lots of data, and if you never check your usage until you get the bill. If you're that slow, perhaps a smartphone is not for you.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can use one or the other of the phones.. DEPENDING On the phone you MAY (or not) Loose internet when a call comes in.. IF this is a problem use the call forwarding to send the calls to the other phone.

page 2... Verizon likes to give you only so much data,,Then encourage you to subscribe to NetFlix or other streaming video.. Then CHA CHING when you get your bill and find 1,000 in overage charges (OK, perhaps not that much).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
... I like the idea of having my secure MIFI unit. I don't think I would like the idea of tying up my cellphone...

Smartphone hotspot is just as secure and since simultaneous voice & data is supported, the cell phone isn't tied up. I can't see any reason to have 2 devices when one will do the job of two.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

C7XR7
Explorer
Explorer
We use PdaNet on our android devices. (we do use sprint). It works anywhere there is cell service and you can set up a wireless hotspot your friends/significant others traveling with you can also get internet access. Fairly cheap to buy PdaNet and there is a free version that works but blocks HTTPS sites.
[COLOR=]2003 Keystone Challenger 31RLB 5th Wheel
2006 F250 Lariat CC PSD short bed
B&W Companionโ„ข 5th Wheel Hitch
Transfer Flow - Toolbox and Fuel Tank Combo
TORKLIFT StableLoad
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went ahead and got the Verizon MIFI unit which creates its won hotspot and will allow up to five WIFI enabled devices to all connect at the same time.

When I got my smart phone a few years back VERIZON would not modify my cell phone or even install the software to do that. I guess things have changed in todays world.

I like the idea of having my secure MIFI unit. I don't think I would like the idea of tying up my cellphone...

So it just depends what you want to do I reckon.

Just stay with VERIZON TOWERs if you want the best coverage across the whole USA.

We just use our setup to check emails, keep in touch with the kids, pay a few bills, and some surfing of the internet. Don't have enough DATA to do any downstreaming. All works fine for us.

I tried the sniffing out the WIFI signals for a couple of years and it got to be a down hill thing for us being able to find something you could use.

Don't have that problem anymore.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Twomed wrote:
You can/should/must do the settings to identify only your devices so other folks can't hook on and burn your data.

If you use a decent network password (and the default ones are pretty decent), there's really no reason to do this. Without the password no one is going to access your hotspot or use your data; not with WPA encryption which is what the phones all use.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
research if your phone has the ability to be a hotspot. most verizon phones do. google the phrase how to turn(insert model phone) into wifi hotspot. you'll get a zillion responses.

Just remember though-using the phone as a hotspot will use up your battery in it quickly.keep phone plugged in if possible

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Use the Hotspot on your phone. Use it to feed the other devices. You can/should/must do the settings to identify only your devices so other folks can't hook on and burn your data. Set up varies phone to phone. Any Verizon store will do it for you, or try the tutorials on the Verizon wireless site for your specific phone. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843