cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old analog TV problem

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I still have the old TV in my motorhome up front. It's worked fine for the 4 years I've had the MH. Now it turns on, volume works, channels can change, but I only see snow. I can't get it to show a picture, not on cable, not on antenna, not a DVD.

In the audio/video cabinet is a switch box with cable/antenna/VCR/Sat/Aux. There is also a VCR/DVD player, a digital converter box, and an inverter.

I wonder if some major thing got disconnected or fried. It's hard to get behind all this equipment. But where do you think I should look? Last winter, a cable guy threaded a cable from the cabinet to the right of the TV through the TV space to the cabinet to the left of the TV (to hook up a wireless router). Perhaps something got knocked out of its socket from the TV while he was doing this?? Or maybe the switch box is no longer working??

Any ideas would certainly be appreciated.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
25 REPLIES 25

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I like the personal stuff better.
Anytime you need 2 tuners to get a picture, I qualify it as being obsolete.
And if you really ever "camped" (verses huggin a power pole) just the 3X current draw of a flat screen, renders it obsolete !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop...You've certainly given us important things to think about before our new install. Thank you! As with many threads, this one has produced a wider variety of information than just an answer to my original question!

I remember I had a heckuva time figuring out the audio/video setup of our previous used motorhome when we first bought it!

Earlier in the year, we were at an RV park for a few months and had cable. We actually brought a small HD TV from home and set it on the dash, connected to the cable bypassing the switch box. So I do know that the incoming cable worked.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
All the personal stuff aside, I have a 2002 Adventurer that the original owner modified the electronics as only someone who does not understand what they are doing would do. The stereo system was stripped out and a flat panel TV installed and a BluRay player installed, he did not have the old cables removed, he just had new ones installed for the new equipment. It has taken me awhile but I did get everything working and remove the non-crimp and non-compression F type connecters. I decided to remove the plate above the B.O.M.B. and check all the connections and yes it is a problem.

So as long as you are going to be waiting for the flat screen to be installed, I would write down what you want installed. Even if you are not using a BluRay player, have the HDMI cable installed, same for the satellite DVR, have a HDMI cable installed from the left hand cabinet to the new TV. You don't have to connect them at this time but it will make upgrading in the future easier. Remember the HDMI cables don't go through the B.O.B.M., they go directly to the set from the player or satellite box. My Samsung smart TV even changes the input to whatever input is supplying a signal. If I have the BluRay player turned on, it will override the signal input from the batwing and switch to the player. Pretty neat features.

I feel as Chuck_thehammer does, it is the TV and not the cables. Easy to check, just bring one from inside the S&B and hook it up. This would most likely eliminate all questions.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
K Charles wrote:
So Merrian-Webster says if you didn't replace it, and it's still being used, it's not obsolete.
This isn't even worth the debate because you all know exactly what I'm talking about. Does it display a picture? In this case NO. But I'll bet money that these so-called working analog TV' are displaying fat people or cropping off significant pieces of picture in a futil attempt to deal with today's formats. So Yes, they are obsolete as they are not compatible with any currently produced show for the last 10 years

actually my new/non-obsolete TV in my bedroom does cut off the ends of the picture. No way can I adjust the width/panoramic/zoom etc. and see to the edges of what must be being shown. I might drag in an OLD obsolete TV and set beside it and see if I can see everything.
bumpy
SOMETIMES the stations or uplinks transmit a bit called AFD (automatic format display) that when On, disables your aspect select button. That's fine until they force a format on your TV that is NOT the one being transmitted. Case and point: Watching old 4:3 format Lucy Show but the TV is forced to 16:9. You can tell cuz Fred is fatter than usual

Is amazing how many broadcasters don't understand how to use that nifty feature
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No worries. As long as you are happy then we are all happy!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
gee, I'm using 5 old "obsolete" TVs and they work just fine. nothing "obsolete" about them.
bumpy

I have come across people who can't see the difference between HD and SD TV picture, too. :R

I can see the difference if I jump back and forth but don't really make an effort to watch HD. As I have said in the past, the good news is that with HD you can see every wrinkle on Jerry Springer's face. the bad news is that with HD you can see every wrinkle on Jerry Springer's face.
bumpy

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
gee, I'm using 5 old "obsolete" TVs and they work just fine. nothing "obsolete" about them.
bumpy

I have come across people who can't see the difference between HD and SD TV picture, too. :R
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
actually my new/non-obsolete TV in my bedroom does cut off the ends of the picture.
If it's cutting off the ends of the picture, you have selected the wrong aspect ratio.

I have tried every one of the available settings. the next time I'm down there I am going to move an obsolete set next to it and see if it shows the whole screen.
bumpy

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
actually my new/non-obsolete TV in my bedroom does cut off the ends of the picture.
If it's cutting off the ends of the picture, you have selected the wrong aspect ratio.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
K Charles wrote:
So Merrian-Webster says if you didn't replace it, and it's still being used, it's not obsolete.
This isn't even worth the debate because you all know exactly what I'm talking about. Does it display a picture? In this case NO. But I'll bet money that these so-called working analog TV' are displaying fat people or cropping off significant pieces of picture in a futil attempt to deal with today's formats. So Yes, they are obsolete as they are not compatible with any currently produced show for the last 10 years

actually my new/non-obsolete TV in my bedroom does cut off the ends of the picture. No way can I adjust the width/panoramic/zoom etc. and see to the edges of what must be being shown. I might drag in an OLD obsolete TV and set beside it and see if I can see everything.
bumpy

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
OP: This TV has Audio/ Video inputs ? It should.. If you can feel your way around back there for RCA jacks, maybe run a cable from the DVD out (providing IT has them) to the TV. At least you have that. Also if you have an ATSC converter box, they all had analog outputs. Again if the TV has those Inputs, you can get the OTA path to work like that
Jeff - WA6EQU

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Jeff - WA6EQU

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
I should tell you that I am getting a new TV installed in about 2 weeks. But we just started a multi-month trip and bummed that we can't watch TV. I'm sure the tech will take apart everything when he retrofits for the new TV. So hopefully he'll find the problem. I'm still leaning towards a problem with the switch box. The way Winnebago built in the equipment, I just can't get behind the switch box without taking apart all the framing, etc. I reached in and felt with my hand the best I could back there, both behind the TV and behind the switch box. Didn't feel anything obviously loose. But really don't know if I'm feeling everything.

So I'll just wait until the new TV gets installed. I don't want to take apart everything and mess it up. The tech will need to see how things currently are set up.

Note to Chuck....I did write that I had "volume", not "sound". It's just the static noise, but the volume control does increase and decrease the noise.

Thanks to all for your comments. They will all become "obsolete" soon. ๐Ÿ™‚

Just a suggestion. I have know idea you have our floor-plan, but we have a 2002 35ft. Suncruiser. We replaced the front TV with a new cabinet to match the other cabinets. We had a tech. install a 47 or 50 inch flatscreen on the slide next to the dinette. Actually for viewing it's a better location for everyone and no more sore necks, LOL.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several posibilities.. Most likely is a coax error.. The ends are just crimped on and a good hard sneeze is all it takes.

Other possible issues are bad switch and bad Receiver module in TV,

That last is a "replace it" level repair (Get a new wide screen that is the same WIDTH as the existing CRT job).. That is over all case width if it's mounted, if it sits on a shelf ignore the "Same width" and replace with "Fits".)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times