cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper shredder stopped shredding,who knew

lwmuddy
Explorer
Explorer
DW said here shredder stopped taking paper.
As usual we never read the instructions, so I went to Google and found that they need to be "Oiled" periodically due to a build up of paper dust residue. I read that you can buy special oil, but I tried "3 in 1" oil and voila.After applying a quick, thin stream of oil on the shredder gears and running it for a minute or two it now shreds up a storm, not to mention it runs faster too. 🙂

Warning, never stick your fingers in the gears while plugged in to power. My disclaimer!:S
11 REPLIES 11

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
BuckBarker wrote:
Good thing about the mineral oil is you can take a spoonful every now and then for regularity.

I just tried that.... Now I Gotta Go..............
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
BuckBarker wrote:
I worked awhile in the office equipment business and we always used mineral oil to lube the shredders and we sold and serviced some massive beasts. Good thing about the mineral oil is you can take a spoonful every now and then for regularity.
I use it to remove eye makeup. 🙂
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
I worked awhile in the office equipment business and we always used mineral oil to lube the shredders and we sold and serviced some massive beasts. Good thing about the mineral oil is you can take a spoonful every now and then for regularity.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
accsys wrote:
Staples sell the oil and they also sell lubricant sheets for this purpose. Personally, I use their oil just do a "light zig-zag" down a sheet of paper and feed it through the shredder after allowing the oil to soak in. I do it about once a month and I still have over half bottle of the oil after two years.
Thanks for the 'zig-zag' idea. Just tried it only with 3-in-1 oil. 🙂
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Staples sell the oil and they also sell lubricant sheets for this purpose. Personally, I use their oil just do a "light zig-zag" down a sheet of paper and feed it through the shredder after allowing the oil to soak in. I do it about once a month and I still have over half bottle of the oil after two years.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
my shredder said use vegetable oil layed over a blank piece of paper and shred it.

i lost a shredder too before i realized what happened

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do, do NOT use a spray lube in your shredder.

I once used white lithium grease from a can on a shredder. When I turned it on to run the lube into the blades, a spark from the switch ignited the propellant and blew a giant fireball straight into my face. I lost my eyebrows, eyelashes, beard, moustache, arm hair and a fair portion of the hair on my head.

Aside from feeling like a dumb***, I looked pretty stupid for about six weeks.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just feed some wax paper through every so often to lube the cutters.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't know. Now I do. Thank you!
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

You can pickup oil for paper shredders at Office Depot.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hah! Now you've got me another honey-do project.
I never thought about that either and of course did not read the directions.

Would the use of oil make the dust stick and gum up over time?
Maybe graphite should be used?
Graphite - the kind of lubricant used on locks.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats