cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem installing Windows 10

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, 64bit, 4 gig ram, running Windows 7 and am having lot of trouble trying to install Windows 10. My computer is elegible for the upgrade and I have it on my desktop computer and like it so want to upgrade this one too.

When I click on the little Windows 10 upgrade icon in the system tray in the lower right, a window opens that says it is downloading Windows 10. It gets to 99% and stays that way for about 30 minutes and then the window changes to the green bar and says "Downloading Windows 10" with the progress bar showing the green area moving to the right. My computer passed the upgrade test from the website.

It has been that way for about 6 hours now and the hard drive is blinking which indicates to me that something is happening. Should it take this long? I don't remember this kind of problem when I upgraded my desktop computer. Should I just let it continue or should I reboot and see what happens? Any ideas are welcome.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine
30 REPLIES 30

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
I just hope they don't implement a monthly fee like they're doing now it's considered a service, or they can keep it.lol
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it worked out. My Win7 laptop slowed to a crawl like yours and 10 really cured all my issues as well.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
WOW! My laptop is flying now! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ It was worth all the grief and work.
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Update:
Got it done! Thanks to SageCrispin's suggestion to do a clean install everything went well and I am now on Window 10. ๐Ÿ™‚ I did do a memory check and ran CCleaner plus Malwarebytes and everything else I had before doing the installation a couple of days ago. Everything came back clean and memory was fine.

I thought I was going to have to configure everything again but it seems that this installation got just about all the info from my desktop via internet, even the picture when logging in and all my favorites.
About the only thing that did not transfer is the programs. Looks like I will have to load them all again. No problem doing that though.

Thanks so much to all who tried to help me out. It is much appreciated and typical of the members of these forums. Great bunch of folks! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
Not towing now.

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
SageCrispin wrote:

I also have another thought that you probably really won't like. You may have BIOS compatibility issues. Google something like "(your computer) Windows 10 BIOS update". You may find out that it will never work without a new BIOS flash.

I agree with this post. The wise tech, will always upgrade the system bios (so easy to do) before the install of an OS..... say Windows 10. Also, wise is to verify the RAM you -think- the system has is functional prior to the OS install. Current drivers on a system are not that critical as you will get newer/current drivers with the new OS and after install of the OS you can always seek out necessary drivers. By reading what this forum poster is experiencing, my guess is it is his systems bios, Ram or both that is causing the OS install, which should be very easy to do.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Download and run CCleaner and clean up the temp files and such. Make sure to not delete cookies that you want to keep. I had many megabytes of temp files, laptop ran much better after some housekeeping.

SageCrispin
Explorer
Explorer
Are you still trying to "upgrade"? If Win7 is cooked anyway, do a "clean install". This should fully replace everything on the HD and in the process kill whatever is causing the problem. You can do this either on line or with the media creation thing.

I also have another thought that you probably really won't like. You may have BIOS compatibility issues. Google something like "(your computer) Windows 10 BIOS update". You may find out that it will never work without a new BIOS flash.
We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Update:
Using the USB stick, I got the Windows 10 files to load and then when it got to the next step loading drivers and updates, it stalled for about two or three hours. No disk activity or anything. I shut it down and it reverted to my old Windows 7 operating system .

I think I am about done messing with this thing. Windows 7 is running so slow that I cannot use it anymore. I have shut down virus program (Bit Defender), firewall (Zone Alarm) and have nothing running according to Task Manager but the machine is so slow that it takes about 5 or more minutes just to get a program to load. It was not that way a couple of weeks ago so I am at a loss as to what could be the problem.

It works fine when I boot up on Linux on the USB hard drive. I think I will use it this way from now on unless someone has an idea as to what could be wrong with my machine on Win 7. For the present, I am done trying to install Win 10. If I can get it running ok on Win 7 then I may try again before the deadline for free upgrade to 10.

Thank you everybody for all your help! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
Not towing now.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think I have figured out the issues I had trying to download win10.did the start/FE, properties, etc. and lo and behold I am already running Win 10. :s
guess I should bitche as to just how horrible win 10 is. ๐Ÿ˜‰
bumpy

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Update:
I have tried several of the suggestions and no joy as of yet. I just now finished downloading and creating a USB install using the "media creation tool" that several of you suggested. which I will try on my laptop tomorrow. If that doesn't do the job I will just forget about it and use it on Linux Ubuntu as that works a whole lot faster than Windows 7 does anyway. I have the Linux installed on a USB hard drive that I boot to instead of Windows. Sure has come in handy lately! By the way, I had to use my desktop Win10 computer to create the USB stick. The laptop froze at 50% doing that.

I'll post another update when I finish trying the USB install as suggested by several of you. Thanks for all the help!:)
Barney
Not towing now.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
I had my desktop going for over 7 hours & finally forced a restart & started over again. It took 5 hours to download. Then I started the install. I'm still not happy with 10. I have no smart phone or mobile device. So far I have found no new benefit on 10 that 7 didn't have. There is so much stuff in 10 I want to delete but can't, such as Cortana. I've spent days of wasted time trying to get it to look & work like 7. I wish we could stay with 7, but with the end of updates in 3 years I've been told that would leave the pc vulnerable.
It takes less than 5 minutes to install StartIsBack and your Win 10 system will immediately look like Win 7.

Right click on the task bar, click on Cortana and click on Hide Cortana.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
trying to download to a DVD and none of these links seem to be active. screen shows and nothing happens?????????
bumpy

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
sherlock62 wrote:
Tom_M wrote:
You may want to try to install using the Media Creation Tool. By using this you can create a bootable DVD or USB thumbdrive.

Here's a link:
Media Creation Tool

Scroll down and click the "Download tool now" button.
X2 ...

Go Here as already mentioned in this thread. You will find detailed instructions. The process is easy.
Another reason to create the install media is you only have to download one time. You can then use the media to update several PCs.

I don't know if you can use the media after the July end date for the free update.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
You may want to try to install using the Media Creation Tool. By using this you can create a bootable DVD or USB thumbdrive.

Here's a link:
Media Creation Tool

Scroll down and click the "Download tool now" button.

X2 ...

Go Here as already mentioned in this thread. You will find detailed instructions. The process is easy.