Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

range extender

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-TL-WA850RE/dp/B00E98O7GC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

My use would be for connecting to routers that I do not have physical access to, but where I do have the wifi password. (or open, if there is no password)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
5 REPLIES 5

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Hawkins smart repeater with roof top antenna works great, but that also depends on the signal from the Cg.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

NorfolkCounty
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be cautious. TP-Link routers/networking products have many known vulnerabilities. I'm not comfortable with their controls.

http://routersecurity.org/bugs.php

I found a few here, and I actually saw a demo of a TP-Link Wireless AP break in last year at a presentation.
Chris - Chesapeake, VA
2007 Silverado 2500HD 2WD 6.0L, 2009 Jayco 26BH

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at an RV park with the wifi antenna at the office.It's within eye sight and about 150 to 200 years away. The signal is un-connectable, but with the Belkin N330 I can connect.
I just purchased it last week. I saw a sale on the Netgear AC750 at costco and the price was way better. I purchased it and figured I would take the one that didn't work very well back. It looks like the Netgear is going back.

I need a cell phone signal booster too.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just installed a similar one, a Zyxel WRE6505 AC 750 range extender. It was a freebe from a Zyxel rep I know. The directions are terrible, but after ignoring them and setting it up, the unit works very well. I think they're about $45.99 on Amazon.

While the one you referenced will help you reception, but I'd go to a little bit "bigger" one as far as capacity, not size. This one is rated at 350Mbps. The Zyxel and others will go higher - I'm seeing 433.3Mbps on mine at the moment.

Also the newer extenders will handle the newer AC WiFi standard. This one only handles a/b/g/n, whereas the newer ones handle a/b/g/n/ac networks. The AC transmits through walls and other blockage better. If you get a new computer, it will have the AC standard in it.

At our house the WiFi router sits under the DWs desk on the other end of the house (of course) and my computer is in the basement. The signal has to go through a couple wooden lateral filing cabinets, a book case, a couple of closets, a china cabinet, a heavy wood floor, several walls and a lot of floor joists.

Any extender will help, but I'd go a few bucks more for faster speeds and the newer AC standard.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mine has adjustable rabbit ears and I have to twist things around to get best signal. this one is not adjustable??
bumpy