cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roku in motorhome

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roku stick on my home tv which I rarely use. My question is, can I use this device on my MH tv to get tv reception at the campground. I have an iPhone with Verizon service and "unlimited" data. Can I use my iPhone as a mobile hotspot and connect it to the Roku device to at least get youtube etc?
16 REPLIES 16

MrWizard
Whose WiFi, your mobile? Starbucks ? A neighbor using a proxy or VPN so the location data is different ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Mine works fine when my RV is connected to my home wifi, but won't show local channels when connected to wifi just 3 blocks away.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Delphi
Explorer
Explorer
dennislanier wrote:
Another question. Any way to get network tv with roku?

We use Youtube TV on our Roku. The web site is: tv.youtube.com

Some other people have mentioned Google TV, but I think they mean Youtube TV as it's owned by Google.

Youtube TV offers a free trial, and there are no long-term contracts. You pay month-by-month for the service.
1999 21-ft Komfort trailer "The Slow Camel"
2017 Ford F-150 pickup truck

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Late to the thread, but we have had good luck running Roku off our home hotspot. Good tip on the 720p setting... that should help reduce bandwidth used.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve used my Roku device using both campground WiFi and phone (hotspot). As wanderingaimlessly said, change Roku resolution to 720p in settings for smoother streaming.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions/information. I plan on giving it a try when we get to the campground.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
dennislanier wrote:

Yes. You can get OTA tv by attaching a digital antenna, switching source to arial, and reprogramming your tuner by scanning for channels.
2010 Suncruiser

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
dennislanier wrote:

We do using: AT&T true unlimited hotspot, Roku, and Google TV.

Google TV is $50/month, but it's used for all TV watching at home, at the cottage, and over the road. No cable.

Have routinely used 40 to 60 GB of data on this Hotspot no problem, no throttling.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
dennislanier wrote:

Do you have Verizon? I am told I can use up to 15GB per device on 4G. Is that similar to yours? Thanks.

No, not Verizon but on a similar plan

We have streamed many a program using streaming apps from various networks. 15 GB will get you about 10 hours or so.
2010 Suncruiser

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
I have 15gb per phone so total of 30 go. Short 4 day trip so should be ok

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Your only problem will be 15GB will last only about 10 days if you watch much TV at all.

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for the information. I am going to hook it up now and give it a try.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, but to make it more steady in streaming from a cellphone hotspot go into the Roku settings and change it to 720p on the picture quality, streaming is much easier then as compared to using 1080p which you likely had it set for from an in house wifi.