cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Router extender

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the knowledge that you have so I will ask what probably is a real basic question. First the scenario. We go to Arizona in the winter. The place we stay at has a router, but it is weak and sometimes not strong enough to get the signal for the computer in the trailer.

Will a router extender capture the signal and be better than the computer? Or will I have to use the Wi-Fi to get the signal, and forget the router.
4 REPLIES 4

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
For several years we used Bear Extenders they worked well, but only for one computer at a time, so we each had one for our laptops.

Now we have a WiFi Ranger which connects to the park, or any other open WiFI, and provides us with our own WiFi for all of our devices. Works really well and pulls in weaker signals since antenna is on the roof. At one point I compared and my laptop could see 4 WiFi signals, the Ranger saw 22!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have one similar to http://www.alfa.com.tw/product_category.php?pc=3 but with two antennas that I got for about $69 at walmart. works great.
bumpy

Sifter
Explorer
Explorer
Give this a try. I love mine.

This will pull in the weak signal, and allow you to create your own wifi network inside your camper.
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW Limited 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2014 Arctic Fox 25Y
SOLD: 2007 Fleetwood Terry Resort 240RKS

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of options depending on how you want to do it. If you are just looking at putting a single computer on the WIFI, this is probably the cheapest and easiest option:
http://www.alfa.com.tw/product_category.php?pc=3
This will extend the coverage of the laptop WIFI, since it is external, you will also be able to move the antenna around to get better signal ie near a window.
If you have multiple devices (computers and phones) this option may work better for you
http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-KIT-REPEATER
This is an internet router that will connect using a much higher gain antenna that would be mounted outside and the router would be inside. You would connect laptops etc to this router, and than it would relay your signal to the CG wifi. This has some advantages, longer range, ability to permanently mount the antenna on your TV antenna mast or Ladder, or use an extendable flag pole, you will also get more security as your devices will be secured behind your own router, which will help protect you from being hacked thru the CG open WIFI. This will require some installation/mounting, but is easy to use once installed.

Not trying to sell a brand and there are a number of other brand options that others may suggest, but these are really the 2 basic solutions that you can use.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com